BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP III
This is what I consider the ultimate beef soup. Great on a frosty day. For beef stock, I use 2 1/2 quarts water and 6 teaspoons beef base. Also, use inexpensive red wine. No need for the good stuff here, and cheaper actually works better! Try with leftover pot roast.
Provided by Barb Y
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the beef stock, barley, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until barley is softened but not mushy. Add the wine, potatoes and beef.
- Add the browning and seasoning sauce now if you want your soup to have more of a brown color. Simmer another 15 minutes and add the cabbage. Allow to simmer another 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 230.5 calories, Carbohydrate 20.1 g, Cholesterol 28.2 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 14.2 g, SaturatedFat 3.2 g, Sodium 114.5 mg, Sugar 4.7 g
CHEF JOHN'S BEEF AND BARLEY STEW
This beautiful bowl of beef and barley would be perfect for your next super-storm. When it comes to stick-to-your-ribs stews, it doesn't get any better than shank. There's so much gelatin-producing connective tissue, that it makes an especially satisfying sauce for your meat and grain.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Season beef all over with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook beef in hot oil until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, and stir onion into the same pot with a pinch of salt. Cook and stir until onion is soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir garlic into onion; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir tomato paste into onion mixture; cook and stir until tomato paste is brick red, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour broth into onion mixture. Add celery, carrots, bay leaf, and rosemary. Return beef with any accumulated juices to pot; push beef down to cover with cooking liquid.
- Bring broth mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook until beef is fork-tender, 2 to 3 hours. Transfer beef to a bowl.
- Pour barley into cooking liquid, bring to a simmer, and cook until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Return beef to pot, cover the pot, and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with parsley and horseradish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 338.8 calories, Carbohydrate 27 g, Cholesterol 57.4 mg, Fat 14.3 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 25.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 1200.3 mg, Sugar 5.1 g
MOM AND MICKI'S BEEF SHANK VEGETABLE SOUP
- Combine water and beef in a large pot. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves. Let stand, about 15 minutes.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Add carrots; simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Add potatoes, green bell pepper, and parsley. Simmer until potatoes are tender and beef falls easily off the bone, about 20 minutes. Remove beef with a slotted spoon. Remove bones, chop beef, and return to the pot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 335.7 calories, Carbohydrate 16.6 g, Cholesterol 79.4 mg, Fat 14.8 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 32.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 532.4 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
DUTCH OVEN BEEF BARLEY SOUP
Curling is a favorite winter sport around here. And this cozy, beefy dish is one of the best Dutch oven soup recipes to warm up with after a day on the ice. -Joanne ShewChuk, St. Benedict, Saskatchewan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 9 servings (about 2 quarts)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place soup bones, water, onion, bouillon, vinegar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil; skim foam with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Discard bay leaves. Set bones aside to cool; remove meat from bones and dice. Skim fat from the broth surface. Add meat, carrots, celery, potatoes, barley, thyme and dill. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts :
BEEF SHANK & BARLEY SOUP
Make and share this Beef Shank & Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chef PotPie
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In 8 quart Dutch oven in hot oil, brown beef shanks on both sides. Remove to a plate.
- In pan drippings, cook carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Cut meat from bones into bite-sized pieces and return meat AND bones to Dutch oven.
- Add barley, salt, oregano, pepper, bouillon cubes, and 11 cups of water.
- Heat to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until beef and barley are tender.
- Discard bones, skim fat from liquid.
- Add spinach to pot, bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 169.4, Fat 6.2, SaturatedFat 0.9, Cholesterol 0.1, Sodium 815.6, Carbohydrate 25.6, Fiber 7.3, Sugar 5.6, Protein 5.6
RICH BEEF BARLEY SOUP
For a bowl of hearty comfort, cook up Ina Garten's Rich Beef Barley Soup recipe, made with meaty oxtail bones, fresh veggies and herbs, from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Add the oxtails, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned all over. Remove the oxtails with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the leeks, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the fat in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until the vegetables start to brown. Tie the thyme sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot along with the bay leaves. Return the oxtails to the pot and add the broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Discard the thyme bundle and the bay leaves, and skim off the fat.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the barley. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- When the soup is ready, add the barley and cook the soup for another 15 or 20 minutes, until the barley is tender. Depending on the saltiness of the stock, the soup might need another teaspoon of salt and some pepper. Serve hot, with or without the oxtails.
BEEF, BARLEY, AND VEGETABLE SOUP
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add stew meat and bones; sauté until beef is dark brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer beef and bones to plate. Add celery, onion, and barley to pot. Sauté until onion is golden, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups water, beef broth, tomatoes with juices, corn, okra, bay leaves, and garlic powder. Return beef and bones to pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until beef is almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add peas and 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce to soup. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 30 minutes longer. Season with salt, pepper, and more hot pepper sauce, if desired.
BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH WILD MUSHROOMS AND PARSNIPS
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Sauté until mushrooms brown, about 18 minutes. Add celery and garlic and stir 1 minute. Add beef shank slices and all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs, remove meat from pot. Cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and any tough connective tissue. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly at room temperature. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat.)
HEARTY BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Stir in broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. , Add carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. Stir in peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 859mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
People also searched
More about "beef shank barley soup recipes"
CLASSIC BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - BEEF - IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER
Cuisine AmericanCategory SoupServings 6Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef Arm Chuck Roast Boneless; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; remove from stockpot, pour off drippings. Season beef with pepper and salt.
- Add onions, celery, carrots , garlic and thyme to stockpot; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and barley. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
OLD-FASHIONED VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE …
CROSS CUT BEEF SHANK BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP – INSTANT POT RECIPES
SHIITAKE, BEEF, AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
TOP 41 BEEF SHANK VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE RECIPES
TOP 48 BEST BEEF SHANK SOUP RECIPE RECIPES
BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH WILD MUSHROOMS AND PARSNIPS RECIPE - BON …
BEEF BARLEY SOUP PIONEER WOMAN RECIPE (EASY) – HOTSALTY
BEEF SHANK BARLEY SOUP | BAKINGSHOP.COM
TOP 50 BEEF SOUP CROCK POT RECIPE RECIPES
SOUP WITH BEEF SHANK RECIPE - THE WORLD RECIPE
TOP 49 BEST BEEF SHANK SOUP RECIPE RECIPES
TOP 47 BEEF SHANK VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE RECIPES
LOW SODIUM BEEF BARLEY SOUP - TASTY, HEALTHY HEART RECIPES
TOP 49 BEEF SOUP CROCK POT RECIPE RECIPES - BAHAGA.CHURCHREZ.ORG
BEEF BARLEY SOUP | WILLIAMS SONOMA
Beef & Barley Soup Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 523294K views-07:01
Beef and Barley Stew Recipe - How to Make Stewed Beef Shank with Barley464K views-07:11
Traditional Beef and Barley Soup Recipe137K views-12:04
Beef & Barley Soup | #Homemade148K views-03:26
The BEST Vegetable Beef Barley Soup21K views-12:30
You'll also love