CHICKEN PERKET AKA CROATIAN CHICKEN STEW
I combined 3 separate recipes from my Croatian heritage to come up with this Americanized version. From my food blog at: http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2013/07/doesnt-matter-what-language-you-speak.html
Provided by Mary Cokenour
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Set a 6 quart crock pot on high; spray inside with nonstick cooking spray.
- Begin layering ingredients inside - tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, ¼ cup flour sprinkled evenly over all, 1 tablespoon garlic. Place in the chicken breast pieces and spread the remaining ¼ cup of flour over them. Add the mushrooms, remaining garlic; then evenly sprinkle over the black pepper and paprika. Pour the stock and white wine over the top.
- Cover and cook for 3 and ½ hours; remove chicken and 1/4 of the vegetables. Use a stand or immersion blender to puree the remaining vegetables, and thicken the liquid. Return the chicken and reserved vegetables to the pot; cover and cook for another half hour before serving. Also during that last half hour, prepare the pasta to desired tenderness; place a serving into bowl and top with sauce, chicken and some vegetables.
CROATIAN CHICKEN "PAPRIKAS"
This meal is also from NW Croatia, very popular in area "Zagorje" and along river Drava. You can notice Hungarian influence.
Provided by nitko
Yield 4 portions, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Melt the lard in a pot.
- Add 2 large onions finely minced and sauté it until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces (mouthfull). Than, add chicken pieces and sauté it until the meat is white.
- Add wine and sauté it for 5 more minutes.
- Than add 3 teaspoons of paprika (chili to taste), salt pepper and caraway seeds.
- Add water to cover the chicken.
- Sauté for 50 minutes or until chicken is soft.
- At the end add 2-3 teaspoons of sour cream and cook for 2-5 more minutes.
- Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes, and inevitably white wine (you've used in the paprikas).
- As a salad with it I would recommend red beet.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 665, Fat 43, SaturatedFat 13.4, Cholesterol 195.2, Sodium 480.8, Carbohydrate 10.8, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 3.9, Protein 48
CROATIAN DALMATIAN BBQ CHICKEN
This is refreshing and light meal with taste of Dalmatia. It is important to use fresh spices, preferably wild grown, but dry would do. Also pick small and young chickens; they are soft and easier to BBQ.
Provided by nitko
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 5 portions, 5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut chickens into pieces, not too big.
- Mix wine, sage, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper into a glass bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate for 2 hours.
- During BBQ-ing chicken, periodically spread olive oil with rosemary branch. Serve hot when ready.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 707, Fat 50.3, SaturatedFat 13.7, Cholesterol 204.4, Sodium 1590.3, Carbohydrate 4.4, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 0.7, Protein 48.5
RUSSIAN CHICKEN STEW WITH POTATOES AND VEGETABLES
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, carrot, and onion; cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste into the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Pour enough water to cover and continue to simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the center and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 408.2 calories, Carbohydrate 54.2 g, Cholesterol 80.8 mg, Fat 6.2 g, Fiber 7.7 g, Protein 34.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.8 g, Sodium 186.2 mg, Sugar 5.4 g
CROATIAN SPINACH STEW ( SPINAT CUSPAJZ")
This recipe is at least 200 years old. My grand-grandmother was preparing spinach that way, my, grandmother was preparing that way, my mother was preparing that way, so I am preparing it that way. This is very healthy meal, although it is prepared on pork fat. One important fact: never re-heat the spinach - you will have digestion problems.
Provided by nitko
Yield 4 portions, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Clean the spinach leaves and put them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the leaves and using large knife (or multi-practic machine): cut them to mash.
- Take a pot, melt butter, add flour and garlic, and add cold water to make a kind of "sauce veloutè".
- Add mashed spinach pour milk (or cream) season with salt and pepper.
- Nutmeg is optional.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 258.8, Fat 21.5, SaturatedFat 13, Cholesterol 71.7, Sodium 232.4, Carbohydrate 12.8, Fiber 5.6, Sugar 1.1, Protein 8.8
CROATIAN "COBANAC" STEW
"Cobanac" is kind of goulash sheep and cow-boy's used to eat while watching their herds. You eat it with a spoon, so the pieces inside has to be bite-size. It is traditional meal from Slavonia (eastern part of Croatia)and people from there are very proud of it. They have annual "Cobanac festival" where there is competition in making cobanac. They cook cobanac in large bronze pots on tripod over open fire. Of course, everyone will tell you that their stew is the best one. This is how I do it. (I know someone here on Zaar would be against horse meat, but, if you really want to enjoy the taste, use horse meat.)
Provided by nitko
Yield 6 portions, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut horse and beef meat into small pieces (not larger than 2x2 cm). Do the same with potato.
- Finely mince onion.
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in cold water about 15 minutes, and than cut into small pieces.
- Cut pancetta into small pieces.
- Heat the lard and sauté onion until translucent. Add meat and continue to sauté (covered) 20 minutes. At that point meat will start to leave juices.
- Add paprika, salt, pepper, bay leaf, pancetta and thyme. Stir well and continue to sauté 5 minutes; now add wine, stir and sauté until alcohol evaporates.
- Add potato and water to cover meat and potato. Add mushrooms. Stir and cook on easy fire about 120 minutes.
- If you need to add more salt do it, but do not add additional pepper or hot paprika. If you want it hot, do it at the beginning.
- The stew must be soup-like. You eat it only with spoon. All ingredients must be soft and easy to eat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 305.1, Fat 12.7, SaturatedFat 4.9, Cholesterol 38.9, Sodium 691.6, Carbohydrate 26.6, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 5.5, Protein 14.9
More about "chicken perket aka croatian chicken stew recipes"
10 BEST CHICKEN STEW RECIPES | YUMMLY
PAPRIKA CHICKEN STEW - SKINNYTASTE
CROATIAN STEWS: BEST RECIPES & RESTAURANTS | TASTEATLAS
CROATIAN CHICKEN STEW - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
CHICKEN STEW - RECIPETIN EATS
CROATIAN CHICKEN PAPRIKASH – ZVONIMIR FRAS
CHICKEN PERKET AKA CROATIAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE - FOOD.COM ...
6 MOST POPULAR CROATIAN CHICKEN DISHES - TASTEATLAS
SATARAš (CROATIAN TOMATO PEPPER STEW) | STEW RECIPES ...
SLOW COOKER KASHMIRI CHICKEN STEW RECIPE - MAGIC SKILLET
RECIPE: "SAUCE CHICKEN" (AKA CHICKEN STEW WITH CURRY SAUCE ...
#course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #healthy #main-dish #soups-stews #poultry #easy #european #low-fat #stews #chicken #crock-pot-slow-cooker #dietary #low-sodium #low-saturated-fat #low-in-something #meat #chicken-breasts #equipment #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook paprika chicken stew?Paprika Chicken Stew is an easy weeknight dish made with chicken pieces on the bone, bell peppers, and lots of Hungarian paprika. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add oil, onions and peppers. Sauté over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft.
How to cook chicken stew with wine?Chop the chicken into small pieces. Add chicken pieces and sauté it until the meat is white. Add wine and sauté it for 5 more minutes. Spice the stew with sweet and hot paprika, salt and pepper.
What are the best stews to try in Croatia?As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Chicken Paprikash is one of the most prepared stews in Croatia, along with two other spicy stews, Fish Paprikash and Čobanac. You should try them all when you get the chance.
How to make homemade chicken stew with vegetables?Making homemade chicken stew with vegetables is pretty simple. Start by sautéing the onions and peppers until soft. Then, sauté the garlic for a minute. Mix the flour and paprika with the broth and then pour into the pot along with the bay leaf and chicken. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 45 to 50 minutes.