NORTHWEST SALMON CHOWDER
I've lived on a farm in the Yakima Valley all my life. I have a big garden, and by the end of fall, my cellar shelves are full of canned fruits and vegetables. This recipe uses some of the root vegetables I grow...along with the delicious salmon that is so plentiful here. -Josephine Parton, Granger, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until the vegetables are tender. Add broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and dill; bring to a boil. , Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly tender. Stir in the corn, cream and salmon. Simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. If desired, garnish with bacon, chives and cracked black pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 274 calories, Fat 15g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 84mg cholesterol, Sodium 1095mg sodium, Carbohydrate 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 16g protein.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes, then cook in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then cook scallions, corn, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and red-pepper flakes in fat in pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until scallions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add potatoes, salmon, bacon, salt, and pepper and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf before serving.
CREAMY SALMON CHOWDER
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add carrots, cover, and steam until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in flour until a smooth paste forms. Return to heat and pour in milk slowly, stirring constantly.
- Stir potatoes, carrots, corn, salmon, green beans, peas, salt, dill, and black pepper into the pot. Cook and stir until chowder thickens, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until green beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 422.7 calories, Carbohydrate 62.9 g, Cholesterol 41.8 mg, Fat 11.7 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 18.8 g, SaturatedFat 6.1 g, Sodium 927.6 mg, Sugar 15.7 g
This is cold-weather dining at its best. Generous pieces of fresh fish floating in a creamy broth with root vegetables make for a hearty and satisfying dinner.This recipe is from Lucinda Scala Quinn, and it appears on the Martha Stewart Living digital magazine for iPad.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat butter in a medium stockpot over medium-low heat. Cook leek and red onion until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add salmon and simmer until opaque, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream to heat through. Stir in dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. Chowder can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
EASY SALMON CHOWDER
From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Soup's on! And tonight it's a super-simple chowder that warms you up, body and soul. Add a loaf of bread to sop up every last drop, and you've got a hearty meal!
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add frozen potatoes, corn and water; mix well. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- In small bowl, stir together milk and flour until smooth. Add to vegetable mixture; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in salmon, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook until hot. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 380, Carbohydrate 48 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Fiber 5 g, Protein 26 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 430 mg, Sugar 11 g, TransFat 0 g
More about "salmon chowder recipes"
SALMON CHOWDER | RICARDO
5/5 (44)Total Time 55 minsCategory Main DishesCalories 340 per serving
EASY, CREAMY ONE-POT SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - SERIOUS …
5/5 (10)Calories 538 per serving
SEATTLE-STYLE SMOKED SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE | LITTLE …
SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - SALMON OR STEELHEAD CHOWDER
SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
FRESH SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
SIMPLE SALMON CHOWDER | FEASTING AT HOME
EASY SALMON CHOWDER + VIDEO (MAKE AHEAD FRIENDLY)
SALMON CHOWDER • SALT & LAVENDER
THE BEST SMOKED SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - HOUSE OF …
SALMON CHOWDER - RECIPE GIRL
SALMON CHOWDER - SIMPLY SCRATCH
SOUTHWEST SALMON CHOWDER - EATINGWELL
BEST SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE SALMON CHOWDER
SMOKED SALMON CHOWDER - BAREFEET IN THE KITCHEN
SALMON RECIPES ABOUND, BUT I'VE FIGURED OUT A FOOLPROOF FORMULA
CLASSIC SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE – WILD FOR SALMON
SALMON CHOWDER | THE MODERN PROPER
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #soups-stews #potatoes #seafood #vegetables #american #chowders #salmon #fish #dietary #one-dish-meal #comfort-food #pacific-northwest #saltwater-fish #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
Super Easy And Delicious One-Pot Salmon Chowder Recipe!81.5K views-04:32
Salmon Chowder Soup135.3K views-04:55
The Best Creamy Smoked Salmon Chowder | with bacon & corn!10.6K views-07:51
Salmon Chowder6.1K views-05:14
How to Make Easy One-Pot Salmon Chowder85.7K views-02:00
You'll also love