WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
In Wisconsin, wild rice is truly wild, not cultivated as in other states, the tassels rising and swaying over rivers, lakes and floodplains come late August and September. Called manoomin by the local Chippewa, it is a protected crop that can be harvested only by state residents holding a valid license. And only by hand, as the Chippewa have always done, using wooden flails gently (the grains should fall from the stalk without great effort) from canoes propelled by paddles or push poles. Shellie Holmes of Rhinelander, Wis., who shares her recipe here, likes to cook wild rice just until it pops open. This is a break with her family's tradition, which favored a chewier texture and did not allow popping. "Do not mix with other rice," she urged, lest you lose the flavor of the wild.
Provided by Ligaya Mishan
Categories dinner, lunch, side dish
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice, then reduce heat so liquid is just simmering. Cover and cook until grains just begin to pop, about 40 minutes. Drain excess liquid from rice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are golden brown, about 8 minutes; remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining butter and mushrooms.
- Return all the mushrooms to the skillet and season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Very carefully add sherry to deglaze the pan, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated but mushrooms are still moist.
- Mix mushrooms into prepared rice and season again with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 298, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 32 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 203 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 1 gram
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
Time consuming and expensive. Be prepared to give wild rice as much cooking time as possible, occasionally it will require a bit more time as it absorbs water more slowly than regular rice. We often cook this while camping Source: Canadian govt publication
Provided by Chef Shadows
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Pour cold water over rice in strainer and lift rice with fingers (to remove
- any impurities).
- Combine rice and 1 1/3 cups water and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 60 minutes.
- * Meanwhile cook bacon partially and add mushrooms, green onion and thyme.
- Cook till bacon is crisp and mushrooms soft.
- Drain off fat.
- Add to cooked rice.
- Season with pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
WILD RICE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS
One surprise to Europeans who settled the plains was the abundance of wild mushrooms, including morels, chanterelles, and other varieties familiar from home. Free for the picking, the mushrooms were hung on strings and dried, providing a winter's worth of eating. Wild rice (actually a grass seed) is a New World native that combines well with the earthy mushrooms the French cèpes.
Yield Makes 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Bring broth to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat; add porcini mushrooms and let stand until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop porcini.
- Bring medium saucepan of water to boil. Add rice, salt and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 45 minutes. Drain; discard bay leaves. (Porcini and rice can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover porcini, soaking liquid and rice separately and refrigerate.)
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic, marjoram, thyme and porcini and sauté 5 minutes. Add crimini mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Add rice and reserved porcini soaking liquid, discarding sediment in bottom. Simmer until almost all liquid absorbed but mixture is still moist, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
Chock-full of mushrooms, celery and green onions, this hearty side dish is an ideal accompaniment to cool-weather meals. Our Test Kitchen staff seasoned it with garlic, thyme and rosemary so it complements nearly any entree. Plus, it makes a big batch, so you can use the extra in the next two dishes.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8-10 servings (7 cups).
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. add the rice, salt, thyme, pepper and rosemary. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-65 minutes or until rice is tender; drain., In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, green onions and garlic in oil. Add the rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 173 calories, Fat 3g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 454mg sodium, Carbohydrate 31g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
SPICY WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Cook 1 1/4 cups wild rice blend as the label directs (discard the flavor packet, if included). Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 sliced small shallot, 1 sliced jalapeno, 12 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Fluff the rice and add to the skillet; season with salt. Stir in 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
WILD RICE MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
"My daughter is a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for meatless dishes she'd enjoy," says Vicki Schrupp. The Little Falls, Minnesota cook beefs up the taste of her creamy rice dish with sauted veggies and chicken broth.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 3 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a small saucepan, bring rice, broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed., Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery, onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in soup, salt and rice; transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 188 calories, Fat 5g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 6mg cholesterol, Sodium 708mg sodium, Carbohydrate 31g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
WILD RICE WITH BALSAMIC MUSHROOMS
- Bring broth to a boil in a small pot. Add rice, and reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook until rice is just tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit, covered, 10 minutes. Drain any excess cooking liquid if necessary. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes (do not stir). Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and stir. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add butter and scallions. Cook until scallions are softened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat, and stir in vinegar.
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl. Stir in mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper.
WILD RICE STUFFING WITH WILD MUSHROOMS
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until very tender and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Transfer onions to large bowl. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in same pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon thyme; sauté until mushrooms are deep brown, about 12 minutes. Add to bowl with onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring broth, 1 tablespoon thyme, and 2 teaspoons sage to boil in heavy large deep saucepan. Mix in wild rice; return to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Mix in white rice; cover and simmer until all rice is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes longer. Stir in caramelized onions and mushrooms, remaining 1 tablespoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon sage. Stir in pears, if desired. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup parsley.
- To bake stuffing in turkey:
- Loosely fill neck and main cavities of turkey with stuffing. Generously butter baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake stuffing in dish along side turkey until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing. Bake until top of stuffing is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- To bake all of stuffing in baking dish:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish, depending on recipe. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley over stuffing and serve.
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS AND PARSLEY
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 13 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in cooked rice and remove from heat. Stir in parsley and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 156 g, Fat 5 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 5 g
GAME HEN STUFFED WITH WILD RICE AND MUSHROOMS
This recipe isn't too difficult, but it looks like an expensive restaurant meal! It is the perfect way to fix up that pheasant, duck or even just a Cornish game hen from your local grocery store. This recipe is made with a Cornish game hen in mind, so if you are using a larger bird, you may want to adjust the amount of the ingredients.
Provided by Stephanie Teeter
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring the rice, a pinch of salt, and water to a boil in a saucepan with a lid. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer the wild rice until the kernels burst open, 45 to 50 minutes. Replenish the water if necessary. Fluff the rice with a fork, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the game hen.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, and cook and stir the mushrooms over medium heat until they are partially cooked and starting to give their juice, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir the mushrooms and butter into the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle the game hen, inside and out, with poultry seasoning, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Lightly stuff the Cornish hen with the wild rice mixture, and tie the legs together with cooking twine to hold in the stuffing. Slice 2 tablespoons of butter into small pats, and dot them around the bird.
- Bake the bird in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 40 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove the game hen from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 522.3 calories, Carbohydrate 34.3 g, Cholesterol 136.4 mg, Fat 34.4 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 21.9 g, SaturatedFat 17.7 g, Sodium 213.6 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF
A delicious alternative to serving plain rice. This recipe is from the local grocery store with a few modifications. This recipe is made with fresh mushrooms, not canned or jarred.
Provided by ChezNicolette
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine wild rice, brown rice, and beef broth in a 3-quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to Low. Cover and simmer 50-55 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms. Chop shallot. Chop (or crush) garlic.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over Medium heat. Saute shallots 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Saute 4 minutes or until mushrooms are dark and tender.
- When rice is finished cooking, toss mushroom mixture with rice and serve while hot.
- Special note: The recipe originally says to drain the rice. I've never had any extra liquid to drain, but I use a different rice as well. To make the recipe easier for me I bought a rice mixture at my store called "Royal Blend". I highly recommend it since it contains Texmati white, brown, wild, and red rice. This might be the reason no draining is necessary. If you are able to find this rice and buy it, use 1 1/2 cups of it instead of the 3/4 cup of both rice.
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS, CRANBERRIES AND WALNUTS
Provided by Amanda Hesser
Categories side dish
Yield 6 - 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Bring two medium pots salted water to a boil over high heat. Add wild rice to one and wheat berries to another, reduce heat to medium, and cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes for wild rice and 20 to 25 minutes for wheat berries.
- While grains cook, put cranberries in small bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak 15 minutes, drain, and chop. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté, stirring frequently, until mushrooms soften and begin to release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and transfer to a warm serving bowl. Stir in walnuts, shallots, parsley and cranberries.
- When grains are tender, drain them, and add them to bowl. Drizzle with walnut oil, and toss gently. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 469, UnsaturatedFat 19 grams, Carbohydrate 61 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 13 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 356 milligrams, Sugar 11 grams, TransFat 0 grams
INSTANT POT® WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
Pressure cooking rice enriches and intensifies the flavor of the stock and herbs. Wild rice is firm on the outside, soft in the middle, and its texture blends nicely with softer brown rice. This is a tasty side dish for chicken, turkey, pork, and fish.
Provided by lutzflcat
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Heat olive oil until hot, then add mushrooms, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes. Turn pressure cooker off.
- Stir in chicken stock, wild rice, wine, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Close and lock the lid and set the pressure valve to sealing. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 30 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, for 15 minutes. Then release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Stir in pecans and balsamic vinegar, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 260.5 calories, Carbohydrate 36.7 g, Cholesterol 1.5 mg, Fat 9 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 7.9 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 352.2 mg, Sugar 4.1 g
More about "wild rice with wild mushrooms recipes"
VEGETARIAN WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF - THE SPRUCE EATS
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS, CRANBERRIES, AND CHESTNUTS RECIPE
CREAMY VEGAN WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS - YOUR MOM'S VEGAN
WILD RICE SOUP VEGAN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
CREAMY CHICKEN WITH WILD RICE AND MUSHROOMS
WILD RICE WITH LEEKS AND MUSHROOMS - BIGOVEN
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOMS - DR. WEIL'S HEALTHY KITCHEN
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
TOP 20 GARLIC, LEMON, MUSHROOM & WILD RICE RECIPES : 2022
CREAMY MUSHROOM & SPINACH SOUP WITH WILD RICE RECIPE ...
CREAMY MUSHROOM WILD RICE RECIPE - THE SALTY …
WILD RICE STUFFING WITH WILD MUSHROOMS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
MUSHROOMS WITH WILD RICE RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
INSTANT POT CHICKEN MUSHROOM WILD RICE SOUP - ALL ...
MUSHROOM GNOCCHI SOUP WITH WILD RICE - FORK IN THE KITCHEN
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF - SAVING ROOM FOR DESSERT
ONE OF MY FAVORFITE WILD RICE RECIPES | HOW TO COOK WILD RICE
WILD RICE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS RECIPES
CREAM OF WILD MUSHROOM SOUP WITH WILD RICE RECIPE - WEST ...
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPES
TOP 20 SOUP RECIPES WITH LEMON, MUSHROOM & WILD RICE : 2022
WILD RICE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS RECIPE | ONE INGREDIENT CHEF
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE WILD RICE SALAD
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF RECIPE - REAL SIMPLE
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF WITH CRANBERRIES RECIPE ...
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE - MOOSE LAKE WILD RICE
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS AND ALMONDS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WILD RICE WITH BROCCOLI AND MUSHROOMS [VEGAN] - ONE GREEN ...
WILD RICE SALAD WITH MUSHROOMS AND HERBS - MINIMALIST ...
WILD RICE + MUSHROOM SOUP (WITH COCONUT MILK)
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF - PROFESSIONAL HEART DAILY ...
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
TOP 20 LEMON, MUSHROOM & WILD RICE RECIPES : 2022
WILD MUSHROOM RICE PILAF - SWANSON - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook wild rice with mushrooms?While the rice is cooking (wild rice takes about 45 minutes), we’ll sautéed the mushrooms and all the other wild things in a separate skillet. Slice at least two cups of mushrooms (they don’t actually have to be wild, I used shiitake, oyster, and crimini) and add them to the skillet with a splash of soy sauce and two cloves of minced garlic.
How to cook wild rice in a Dutch oven?Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a large Dutch oven until butter melts. Add brown rice; cook and stir constantly until toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in wild rice, 1/2 the morel mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
What are some good recipes to make with wild rice?1 cup wild rice, rinsed 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 pound mixed fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, cremini, and shiitake), sliced Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus more for garnish 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
How do you cook wild rice in boiling water?Add the rice to boiling water, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and sauté the carrots, onion and celery over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the wild rice, long grain rice and tarragon and mix well. Add 2 2/3 cups water and bring to a boil.