My husband recalls that on more than one occasion while he was growing up, he stayed home from school sick, napped on the couch and woke to the aroma of his mother's freshly baked bread. That's enough to make anyone feel better!-Denise Baumert, Dalhart, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. , Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. , Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min. , Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 135 calories, Fat 1g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 3mg cholesterol, Sodium 313mg sodium, Carbohydrate 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
Baking homemade bread needn't be difficult - this recipe is easy to follow
Provided by Sara Buenfeld
Categories Afternoon tea, Side dish
Yield Makes 1 large loaf
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Tip the flour into a bowl and mix in the yeast with the salt. Stir in the water, oil and honey. Now bring together to make a soft dough - I use my hands, but a wooden spoon or knife from the cutlery drawer is fine. Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins. It is worth putting in the time to do this as it will pay off later with lovely airy bread.
- Don't keep adding flour, a wet dough is better than a dry one, which will bake to a tough texture, so if you don't like the dough sticking to your hands, lightly oil them. If you are adding flavourings, knead them in gently now.
- Turn the dough into an oiled 1kg bread tin and cover with oiled cling film (or better still, a free unused shower cap from your last hotel stay!). Put in a warm place until the bread fills the tin, it should take between 1-2 hrs.
- Uncover and bake your bread at 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 30-35 mins until golden. Tip out of the tin and tap the base of the loaf. It should sound hollow when fully cooked. If not cooked, put loaf back in the oven out of the tin and test again after 10 mins. Cool.
BASIC HOMEMADE BREAD
If you'd like to learn how to bake bread, here's a wonderful place to start. This easy white bread recipe bakes up deliciously golden brown. There's nothing like the homemade aroma wafting through my kitchen as it bakes. -Sandra Anderson, New York, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 loaves (16 pieces each).
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand until bubbles form on surface. Whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Stir oil into yeast mixture; pour into flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. , Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours., Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 1 to 1-1/2 hours., Bake at 375° until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped or has reached an internal temperature of 200°, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 102 calories, Fat 1g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 222mg sodium, Carbohydrate 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
GREEN ONION GARLIC NAAN BREAD
I am going to show you how to make naan Chef John-style-when I want it fast and I don't want to use yeast and wait for a dough to rise but I also want it just as good as if I did. While I originally tried this method to save time, it produces what might be my favorite style of naan. It really is incredible whether you use garlic and green onions, or not. As naan are made, they must be stacked and wrapped in a kitchen towel to keep them soft and supple.
Provided by Chef John
Categories Indian Bread
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place bread flour in a bowl. Add salt and baking powder and give it a good whisk until evenly combined.
- Add in Greek yogurt gently, followed by garlic and green onions. Take a wooden spoon and slowly start mixing everything together. Keep mixing, stirring, and pressing until a shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a work surface and use your hands to press dough together. Knead for a few minutes until dough becomes elastic and a little bit sticky. Add a bit more flour as necessary but try to keep extra flour at an absolute minimum. Knead until dough is a little bit stretchy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Wrap in plastic and allow to rest on the counter for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take a bench scraper and cut into 6 equal pieces. Take 1 portion and roll into a ball. Place onto a generously floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out nice and thin, about 1/8 inch or less. It's ok if the naan is not a perfect circle. You will need extra flour for rolling out as the dough is sticky, but try to use as little as possible.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Transfer dough circles into the hot dry skillet and cook until little bubbles form on the surface and the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip naan over and cook for 1 more minute. Press down slightly with a spatula to increase the heat during cooking. Flip over twice more and cook for an additional 15 seconds per side, but make sure not to overcook to preserve the texture. Naan should still be flexible when you remove it from the skillet onto a plate.
- Cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm and moist while you cook the other naan breads. Stack all 6 naan breads on top of each other and keep covered with a kitchen towel.
- When you are finished cooking all 6 naan breads, unstack breads and brush the first naan bread on both sides with a little bit of melted butter. Stack second piece of naan on top and only brush the top side. Keep stacking and buttering all the naan breads. Fold each naan into a triangle and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 281.8 calories, Carbohydrate 52.8 g, Cholesterol 10.3 mg, Fat 4.9 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 9.6 g, SaturatedFat 2.6 g, Sodium 367.6 mg
More about "basic homemade bread recipes"
BASIC BREAD RECIPE FOR BEGINNERS - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.1/5 (519)Total Time 2 hrs 40 minsCategory BreadCalories 136 per serving
EASY HOMEMADE BREAD - STEP BY STEP (+VIDEO) | LIL' …
75 EASY QUICK BREAD RECIPES YOU SHOULD BAKE TODAY
BASIC HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE - WHITE BREAD
EASY CRUSTY BREAD - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
42 EASY HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPES | HOW TO MAKE BREAD …
100 RECIPES FOR HOMEMADE BREAD | TASTE OF HOME
ROBINHOOD | BASIC WHITE BREAD
20 EASY BREAD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
EASY HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD | RECIPE AND TUTORIAL …
BASIC HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE - EVERYDAY SHORTCUTS
EASY HOMEMADE FRENCH BREAD PIZZA RECIPE - DON'T SWEAT THE …
BASIC HOMEMADE CRUSTY BREAD RECIPE — HER 86M2 - BY THUY DAO
WELCOME FALL WITH THIS APPLE BREAD PUDDING RECIPE
BREAD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
30 EASY BREAD RECIPES FOR BEGINNER BAKERS | TASTE OF HOME
15 EASY BREAD DIPPING OIL RECIPE - SELECTED RECIPES
STARBUCKS PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE - EATING ON A DIME
SIMPLE SOURDOUGH FOCACCIA BREAD RECIPE | MY DAILY SOURDOUGH …
AMISH PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE - AMISH HERITAGE
THE BEST ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE
SOFT BREAD RECIPE - NO OVEN NO EGG | HOMEMADE BREAD ON TAWA
TOP 5 EASY BREAD RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
15 EASY HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPES: HOW TO BAKE BREAD
GARLIC BREAD CHICKEN CAESAR SANDWICH · EASY FAMILY RECIPES
EASY HOMEMADE BREAD - BASIC BREAD RECIPE FOR BEGINNERS (+ VIDEO!)
Easy Homemade Sourdough Bread | A Basic No Knead Recipe That Gives Amazing Results Every Time2.1M views-08:21
Homemade Bread for Beginners - Easy8.2M views-18:47
Easy Artisan Bread Recipe | No Kneading!353.5K views-07:52
How to Make Italian Bread | Basic Easy Italian Bread Recipe101K views-08:31
Homemade Bread for Beginners EASY Recipe in 5 Minutes of Hands On Time a Day1.9M views-19:22
The EASIEST Bread You'll Ever Make (Beginner Bread Recipe)2.5M views-07:12
You'll also love