An easy Lettuce Soup recipe. This soup is a great way to use lettuce's outer leaves and ribs, which usually go to waste. Any kind of potato and any salad greens, including lettuce, arugula, spinach, and watercress, will work fine.
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook onion mixture and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in potato, lettuce, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and transfer to a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring soup to a simmer, then whisk in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP
- In a heavy stockpot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions with the salt and pepper until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatillo and jalapeno(s) and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook 10 minutes longer. Add the cilantro to the soup and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and puree in a blender or food processor. If you want a more elegant soup, pass through a strainer. Bring back to a boil before serving. Beat 1 cup of the heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a small bowl, mix the anchovy paste with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream until smooth. Fold into the whipped cream and beat a few more strokes. Serve the soup hot with dollops of the anchovy cream garnish.
Why have your soup and salad separately when you can enjoy the delicate flavor of romaine in this silky soup?
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, onion, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and a couple turns of pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook, turning with tongs, until bright green, about 1 minute. Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth; return it to the pot to heat through and thin with milk or water as desired. Serve topped with shredded romaine.
- Disclaimer: When blending hot liquid, first let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then transfer it to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters and pulse until smooth.
CHILLED LETTUCE SOUP
Provided by Mark Bittman
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Put butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; when it melts, add onion and sweat for about 2 minutes or until it begins to soften; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add all but a couple of handfuls of the lettuce to the pan, reserving the rest for garnish, and cook until it wilts. Add stock, turn the heat to medium-high and bring liquid to a boil; lower heat to medium and cook until lettuce is very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put cooked lettuce in a blender and add 2 cups of ice water. Purée mixture until smooth, then put in a large bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once soup is chilled, add cream or half-and-half to taste and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Finely chop reserved lettuce and put about 1/4 cup in each bowl and ladle soup on top. Garnish with croutons or bacon.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 239, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 24 grams, Fat 14 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 10 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 1402 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams, TransFat 0 grams
This is a soup that my Slovak grandmother used to make when I was a little girl. She used lettuce she would pick fresh out of her garden. I still make this soup every summer and remember her sitting in her kitchen sipping coffee with my mother and aunt. It brings back such fond memories.
Provided by Ursie
Yield 6-8 Large Bowls, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a cast iron skillet (this the best but you can use any type skillet) Fry 2 lb. of bacon (to render fat, but not crisp the bacon).
- Remove bacon from skillet leaving the fat in the pan.
- Allow the fat to brown (slightly).
- For every 2 Tablespoons of browned fat rendered add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Stirring constantly, brown flour in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly so as not to curdle the milk when added.
- Once cooled, add 1 cup of milk for ever 2 tablespoons of flour used.
- Bring to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Add torn up lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it throughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with a crusty French bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 735.6, Fat 70, SaturatedFat 23.2, Cholesterol 173.4, Sodium 1317.5, Carbohydrate 4.5, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1.1, Protein 21.3
EASY LETTUCE SOUP
We made this when our garden overflowed with lettuce and were suprised at how good this was. Don't laugh... I think this recipe was from Richard Simmons (though I do think he's super nice!)
Provided by Yogi8
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook onion in butter till soft.
- Add lettuce, then flour, then broth.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in blender and add milk, salt& pepper, nutmeg, and paprika.
- Blend for a minute, then return to pot and reheat.
CREAM OF LETTUCE SOUP (FROM MY GREAT RECIPES)
Here is a soup that is elegant, easy to make and tastes terrific. However, do not cook it longer than 3 minutes as the ingredients do not require longer cooking and it will lose color and flavor. The soup is equally delicious served hot in winter or served cold on a hot summer's day.
Provided by justmeterri
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add onion and leek. Saute for 5 minutes without letting them brown.
- Stir in flour, combining it well with onion and leek.
- Add lettuce, frozen peas and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boiling. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool a little and blend in cream.
- Puree in blender. Return to saucepan and reheat to serve or serve well chilled with a dollop of sour cream, if you wish.
ROMANIAN LETTUCE SOUP
Make and share this Romanian Lettuce Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by littlemafia
Categories Very Low Carbs
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook slowly chopped onion and garlic in oil until soft but not brown.
- Wash lettuce, tear leaves in small pieces, add to cooked onions and cook about 10 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, water and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat yolk in large serving bowl and add cream.
- Pour soup very slowly, drop by drop, over egg mixture stirring vigorously to prevent curdling.
- Do not cook again. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
People also searched
More about "lettuce soup recipes"
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory Main
SLOVAK LETTUCE SOUP SALATOVA POLIEVKA RECIPE - THE …
CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP - IT'S EASY TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY RECIPE!
3 EASY RECIPES FOR TASTIEST LETTUCE SOUP - WE HATE TO …
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 4Category Starters & Nibbles
SAUSAGE WITH LETTUCE - 1 RECIPES | BONAPETI.COM
LETTUCE SOUP (AKA THE MOST AMAZING SOUP EVER!) - THE PALEO MOM
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - THE RELUCTANT GOURMET
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
PUMPKIN TIRAMISU - LETTUCE ENTERTAIN YOU
COLD SOUP WITH LETTUCE - 3 RECIPES | BONAPETI.COM
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE BY DEEPA RUPANI - COOKPAD
HEALTH LETTUCE RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #very-low-carbs #soups-stews #eggs-dairy #vegetables #european #summer #eggs #stove-top #czech #dietary #seasonal #low-carb #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
LETTUCE SOUP - SOUP RECIPE - EASY & HEALTHY - QUICK & EASY1.2K views-05:15
Lettuce Soup Recipe (Easy & Quick Lettuce Recipes!)17K views-03:12
Quick and easy Lettuce Soup - vegan, oil free296 views-10:27
Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe | Beyond Easy!336.8K views-09:14
Easy Romaine Lettuce Soup2.5K views-01:01
THE VEGETABLE SOUP! Irish Farmhouse Vegetable Soup Recipe!723.5K views-07:18
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make lettuce soup?MethodHeat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5–6 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring regularly.Add the lettuce and potatoes and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.Add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. ...Remove the pan from the heat and blitz using a stick blender until smooth. ... More items...
Can I use lettuce in soup?Stir crisp shredded lettuce, like romaine or iceberg, into a bowl of soup. While it will wilt and soften, it will also retain a bit of refreshing crunch and add another layer of texture and sweet flavor to the soup.
Is My Lettuce still good?When the dark spots appear on multiple leaves in place of these colors, your lettuce is on its way out. Discolored lettuce often feels slimy and smells bad as well. Small brown spots usually aren’t harmful if you eat them. You can also cut around them if the rest of the lettuce leaf is still healthy. Throw out lettuce with a strong, rancid smell.
Is lettuce a superfood?The answer and power lie in a superfood vegetable you’ve known all your life: lettuce. The diet is simple. Substitute food and household items with lettuce and experience life-changing results. The most obvious food substitution is lettuce instead of bread. Ignore Oprah.