HOMEMADE BEEF TAMALES
Homemade tamales with homemade tortillas. Top with sour cream.
Provided by Marvin Howard
Categories 100+ Everyday Cooking Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add beef, green chiles, hot sauce, salt, 3 cloves garlic, onion, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until beef is thoroughly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and reserve the drippings.
- Combine reserved drippings, masa, lard, and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well. Add up to 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is as thick as biscuit dough. Divide into 50 equal balls. Place dough balls between 2 cutting boards each lined with a sheet of waxed paper; flatten into circles.
- Place each dough circle into a corn husk. Spoon about 3 tablespoons beef mixture in a line across the middle of each husk. Top with a small amount of cheese. Fold opposing sides of the tortilla to overlap the filling. Roll the husk around the tamale and fold in one end.
- Combine the remaining 1 clove garlic, 1 cup water, and chili powder in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring chili sauce to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stand a batch of the tamales, folded ends-down, in a steamer basket on top of a double boiler over simmering water. Bring water to a boil; cover and steam for 20 minutes. Remove tamales from heat; remove husks and top tamales with the chili sauce. Repeat with remaining tamales.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 375.2 calories, Carbohydrate 29.7 g, Cholesterol 66.2 mg, Fat 19.5 g, Fiber 5.6 g, Protein 20.6 g, SaturatedFat 7.9 g, Sodium 454.3 mg, Sugar 0.3 g
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 24 tamales
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Make the filling: Put the pork in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water (about 6 cups). Add 2 teaspoons salt, the onion, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and peppercorns; cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the pork is tender, 1 hour, 30 minutes to 2 hours. Transfer the pork to a plate and shred. Strain and reserve the cooking liquid; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, soak the corn husks in a bowl of hot water, using a plate to keep them submerged, until pliable, 1 hour.
- Combine the pork, cumin, 1/3 cup chili powder, the garlic, flour, sugar, vegetable oil and 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dough: Mix the masa harina, lard, 2 teaspoons salt, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 2 2/3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid in a bowl until combined.
- Drain the husks and pat dry. Starting 1/2 inch from the wide end, spread about 3 tablespoons of the dough down a husk, leaving a 1-inch border on the sides. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pork filling down the center of the dough, then fold in the sides of the husk, wrapping the dough around the filling. Fold up the narrow end of the husk. Repeat with the remaining husks, dough and filling.
- Set a steamer basket in a large pot filled with 1 to 2 inches of water. Arrange the tamales standing up in the steamer, folded-side down. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, cover and steam until the dough is firm, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the steamer and let cool slightly before unwrapping.
REAL TRADITIONAL TAMALES
Make and share this Real Traditional Tamales recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Manuel Rios
Yield 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- You have to beat the lard, (I use a machine), beat it until it gets soft, and fluffy.
- Add the flour, and keep beating it.
- Into a blender put the jalapenos, onion, tomatoes, salt, and the peregil. Add some water, you are making a salsa.
- In another pot, put some water and the chicken, and boil them.
- Take a big spoon of the mixture of the lard and spread it on the corn leaves, add a spoon of salsa, and a piece of chicken in it. Wrap the husk so the flour mixture seals around the meat and salsa
- Keep doing this until the mixture is gone
- Steam them in an oversized pot.
- In mexico we use special pots, you can use any but be sure to cook them in the vapor.
- Let it cook, you'll know when its ready when you touch the tamale and its not fluffy any more, it gets solid.
- When you eat it put the leaf into the trash can, you won't eat the leaf, in mexico people add some cream over it and thats good.
More about "real homemade tamales recipes"
AUTHENTIC TAMALES RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
Web Feb 03, 2020 Instructions. Soak the corn husks in a bowl of very hot water for 30 minutes or until softened. Prepare desired fillings*. Make the …
5/5 (233)Calories 72 per servingCategory Main Course
5/5 (233)Calories 72 per servingCategory Main Course
- Make the masa dough: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the lard and 2 tablespoons of broth until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Combine the masa flour, baking powder, salt, and cumin in a separate bowl; stir into the lard mixture and beat well with an electric mixer.
- Add the broth, little by little to form a very soft dough. Beat on high speed for several minutes. The dough should spread like creamy peanut butter and be slightly sticky.* Cover the mixing bowl with a damp paper towel, to keep the dough from drying out.
HOW TO MAKE TAMALES: AUTHENTIC HOMEMADE TAMALES …
Web Nov 28, 2022 Assemble the tamales: 1. In a large bowl or stockpot, soak corn husks in warm water and cover. (If the corn husks rise to the …
- 1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream lard and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, use a hand mixer or whisk.) 2. In a separate bowl, mix masa harina, baking powder, and kosher salt together until well combined. Add dry ingredients to the whipped lard and mix until a shaggy dough forms. 3. Add broth one cup at a time, mixing after every addition, until a light, spongy dough forms. (You may not need to use all of the broth.) Test the masa by pressing a little into the palm of your hand. If it holds its shape and doesn’t crack, and is able to be easily removed from your palm without sticking, the dough is ready. If not, add more liquid and continue to mix.
- 1. In a large bowl or stockpot, soak corn husks in warm water and cover. (If the corn husks rise to the surface, cover with a clean plate or other weight.) Soak until softened, about 30 minutes and up to overnight, then drain and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel. 2. Line a large strainer or steamer basket with corn husks (this is a good use for any extra-large or extra-small husks) and place a ball of foil in the center. Place tamales against the ball, open side up, leaning them against each other. 3. Set a softened corn husk on a flat surface smooth side up, with the wide end facing you and the tapered end pointing away from you. Starting from the wide end of the husk, spread 2 tablespoons masa with your fingers or an offset spatula from edge to edge and about ⅔ of the way up the husk. You should have a rectangle about a ¼ inch thick. Repeat with remaining husks. 4. Add 2 tablespoons of chilled filling to the center of the masa-covered husk. Fold one side of the husk over the fillin
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
Web Jan 05, 2019 Add the lard to a large bowl and add one tablespoon of the beef broth. Beat until the lard is fluffy. Combine the masa harina, baking …
4/5 (2)Total Time 3 hrsServings 16
4/5 (2)Total Time 3 hrsServings 16
EASY HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPE - HOT TAMALES YOU …
Web Aug 04, 2014 Place the damp cotton towel over the top of the tamales and cover with the lid. Make sure you add just enough water to the bottom of …
HOW TO MAKE TAMALES: STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE | TASTE OF HOME
Web Dec 01, 2020 Step 2: Cook the chicken. Start this step about an hour after you’ve set out the husks to soak. In a large stockpot (at least 6 quarts), combine chicken, water, onion, salt and garlic. Bring to a boil, and then …
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES | RECIPE | HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPE, …
Web Apr 20, 2020 - I had been looking for a Tamale recipe for years. One day I went to the international market and stood in the Mexican aisle till a woman with a full cart came by. I …
TOP 49 HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPE FROM SCRATCH RECIPES
Web How to Make Tamales: Authentic Homemade Tamales … 6 days ago masterclass.com Show details . Recipe Instructions __Make the masa__:1. In the bowl of a stand mixer …
REAL TRADITIONAL TAMALES FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
Web 1 ¼ pounds pork loin: 1 large onion, halved: 1 clove garlic: 4 dried California chile pods: 2 cups water: 1 ½ teaspoons salt: 2 cups masa harina: 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
MASA FOR TAMALES (EASY TAMALES DOUGH) RECIPE
Web Dec 06, 2022 Drop a quarter-sized ball of masa in a glass filled with cold water. If the masa floats, it is ready. If it sinks, add the remaining 1/4 cup chicken stock, knead for 5 more …
TAMALE FILLINGS RECIPE - BOSS RECIPES
Web Nov 16, 2022 Remove husks from water and pat dry. Spread dough out over husks to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Place 1 tablespoon pork filling over center of each. Fold the sides, top, …
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES | RECIPE CART
Web 1 ¼ pounds pork loin 1 large onion, halved 1 clove garlic 4 peppers dried California chile pods 2 cups water 1 ½ teaspoons salt 2 cups masa harina 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef …
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Web Tamale Recipes; Real Homemade Tamales; Real Homemade Tamales. I looked for a good tamales recipe for years. One day I went to the international market and stood in …
POBLANO, CORN, AND CHEESE TAMALES RECIPE
Web 18 hours ago Cook the filling: Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, until they begin to soften. …
TOP 46 RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE TAMALES RECIPES
Web Real Homemade Tamales Recipe . 1 week ago allrecipes.com Show details . Mar 29, 2001 · Spread dough out over husks to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Place 1 tablespoon pork filling …
VEGAN TAMALES RECIPE | TAMALES ROJOS | MEXICAN MADE MEATLESS™
Web Dec 05, 2022 Place clean and seeded chiles in a medium pot with the garlic, onion and tomatoes. Cover with enough water then simmer until everything is softened. Place the …
TAMALE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Web Tamales make a great group cooking project! Find recipes and cooking tips for pork tamales, chicken tamales, tamale pie, and sweet tamales, and make a batch with your …
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES - NONONSENSE.RECIPES
Web Step 1 Place pork into a Dutch oven with onion and garlic, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.
REAL HOMEMADE TAMALES MEXICANOS : RECIPES - REDDIT
Web Step 1: Soak the corn husk in the sink of cold tap water for at least 5 minutes. GraReal Tamales Mexicanos spreading of the masa on the corn huskb a spoon and a single corn …
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TAMALES | ALLRECIPES.COM - YOUTUBE
Web Get the recipe @ http://allrecipes.com/recipe/real-homemade-tamales/detail.aspxWatch how to make delicious Mexican tamales from scratch. This top-rated recip...
How to Make Tamales - Authentic Homemade Tamales1.6M views-15:07
How to make RED pork tamales | AUTHENTIC Mexican tamales recipe | Villa Cocina484.2K views-13:45
Easy Authentic Tamales That Anyone Can Make986.6K views-07:31
How to Make THE BEST AUTHENTIC MEXICAN HOMEMADE RED BEEF TAMALES | Tamales Rojos4.2M views-1:19:47
Rick Bayless Tamales: Green Chile Chicken Tamales292.4K views-31:20
You'll also love