GRATIN DAUPHINOISE (SCALLOPED POTATOES)
Provided by Shelley Wiseman
Categories Milk/Cream Dairy Potato Side Bake Easter Vegetarian Kid-Friendly Leek Root Vegetable Family Reunion Christmas Eve Gourmet Pescatarian Wheat/Gluten-Free Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added Kosher Small Plates
Yield Makes 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in upper third of oven.
- Peel potatoes and thinly cut into 1/8 inch thick slices, using slicer if desired.
- Discard dark green part of leek and halve white and light green part lengthwise. Rinse layers under running water to remove any dirt and grit and pat dry. Thinly slice crosswise.
- Stir together white pepper and nutmeg with 1 3/4 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat and cook leek and garlic, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread leek and butter mixture evenly in bottom of baking dish. Arrange one quarter of potatoes in a slightly overlapping layer over leeks, then pour 1/2 cup milk over potatoes, and sprinkle lightly with 1/2 teaspoon salt mixture. Layer potatoes with milk and salt mixture three more times in same manner.
- Place dish on a shallow baking pan and cover with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove foil and pour cream over potatoes. Continue to bake, uncovered, until cream has been absorbed by potatoes and top is golden in spots, 30 to 40 minutes.
This traditional French casserole of thinly sliced potatoes with milk, cream, garlic, and Gruyere cheese, takes a little effort, but the result is a bubbling, indulgent accompaniment to a special meal.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in center. Generously butter a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish. Peel potatoes, and slice into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place slices in a bowl of cold water as you go to prevent discoloration.
- In a medium saucepan, combine garlic, milk, heavy cream, salt, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat, and pour into prepared baking dish. Discard bay leaf.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, and transfer to baking dish. Using a large spoon, toss potatoes with milk mixture pressing down gently to distribute the potato slices evenly. Season with pepper. Dot with butter, distributing evenly over entire surface; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven; bake until potatoes can be pierced with a fork and top is brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.
CLASSIC BISTRO STYLE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - FRENCH GRATIN POTATOES
This classic French potato gratin dish is world famous, and rightly so! I am quite happy to have this as a main meal, with just some crusty bread and a large mixed salad on the side. I have heard that this famous dish was created as a way of encouraging the "Dauphin" (the young prince destined to become King Henri II), to eat up his vegetables, hence the name! Maybe - it is certainly just as popular with children, as it is with adults. Try to slice the potatoes as thinly as possible for the best results. A wonderful accompaniment for all sorts of roast meats, stews, casseroles and poultry. This recipe is not strictly French, using as it does a Swiss cheese.
Provided by French Tart
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/gas mark 2.
- Take a heavy-bottomed dish or an ovenproof gratin dish (a Le Creuset is ideal - the potatoes tend not to catch), and grease it will with some of the butter.
- Layer the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping each other, seasoning lightly with the salt and pepper, and sprinkling a liberal amount of cheese on each layer.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top of the last layer.
- Put the double cream, garlic and sprigs of thyme in a pan and bring to them gently to the boil, then remove the thyme and pour hot cream over the potatoes.
- Dot the top of the gratin with the remaining butter and some extra cheese if you wish, and bake for about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs, or until the potatoes are soft, and the top is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve bubbling hot as a main meal or as an accompaniment.
CLASSIC BISTRO POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOISE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 portions
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart flame proof casserole or gratin dish.
- Peel the potatoes and hold them in cold water until ready to proceed with the recipe.
- Combine the garlic, cream, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Dry the potatoes fully and cut them into rounds, beginning at one end, using a mandoline. Set the blade on the mandoline to cut a thin, 1/8-inch thick, slice. Place the potato slices into the gratin dish carefully layering them in a circular fashion. Pour the seasoned cream over the potatoes and shake the dish gently to allow the cream to flow towards the bottom of the dish.
- Place the gratin dish on the stovetop over low heat and begin to warm the contents until the cream has begun to simmer. Cook the potatoes in the seasoned cream for 5 minutes and then place the gratin dish into the oven.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes until the top has browned to a rich golden color and the cream is bubbling along the side of the dish.
- Remove the gratin from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
ULTIMATE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS
An utterly irresistable creamy potato side dish with very few ingredients but oozing with flavour, try our ultimate gratin daphinois
Provided by Angela Nilsen
Categories Buffet, Dinner, Side dish, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 4/fan oven 140C. Rub the butter all over the surface of a gratin dish, about 18x28cm/7x11in. Peel and slice the potatoes to a width of 3mm/1⁄8in. Lay the slices on a clean tea towel and pat dry. Keep them covered with the tea towel while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Add the garlic, thyme and shallot (if using). Slowly heat the milk and, just as it is about to reach boiling point and you see bubbles appearing around the edge of the pan, remove it from the heat. Strain the liquid into a large jug, sprinkle in the nutmeg and keep warm.
- Layer half the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping the slices and sprinkling with a little salt and freshly ground pepper between each layer. You don't have to be too neat with the lower layers, but keep some of your best slices for later, so the top looks good.
- Pour half the hot milk and cream over the potatoes, then finish off layering the rest of the potatoes (arranging them a bit more carefully this time). Pour over the rest of the hot milk and cream. Scatter the cheese over the top and bake for about one hour, until golden and tender. Leave the dish to stand for about 5 minutes, then serve sprinkled with a few fresh thyme leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 384 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 18 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 27 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 7 grams protein, Sodium 0.27 milligram of sodium
More about "gratin dauphinoise scalloped potatoes recipes"
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH CHEESE) RECIPE
4.5/5 (13)Calories 228 per servingServings 7
- Rub an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic. Coat dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half of potatoes in dish, and drizzle with half of the butter. Sprinkle with half of salt and half of pepper, and top with half of cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Bring milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan; pour over potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender.
POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) | RECIPETIN EATS
5/5 (189)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Side DishCalories 167 per serving
- Layer 1: Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Note 3), then pour over 1/3 of the Cream Mixture, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
DAUPHINOISE POTATOES RECIPE | ANNE BURRELL | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (4)Category Side-DishAuthor Anne BurrellDifficulty Easy
CLASSIC FRENCH GRATIN DAUPHINOIS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE …
CLASSIC POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
THE BEST VEGAN SCALLOPED POTATOES (PLANT-BASED …
RECIPES WITH JULIA CHILD: GRATIN DAUPHINOIS | AMERICAN …
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
EASY POTATO AU GRATIN RECIPE - MSN
POTATOES DAUPHINOISE (WITH VIDEO) | HOW TO FEED A LOON
SCALLOPED POTATOES (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS) | RICARDO
AIR FRYER SCALLOPED POTATOES - EASY RECIPE FOR CREAMY POTATOES
TONY'S CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
SHOULD BAKED POTATOES BE WRAPPED IN FOIL? - SELECTED RECIPES
GRATIN - WIKIPEDIA
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
GRATIN DAUPHINOISE | ESSENTIAL PEPIN : ESSENTIAL PEPIN
CLASSIC RICH AND SILKY POTATO GRATIN (SCALLOPED POTATOES) RECIPE
CHEESY MINI POTATO GRATIN STACKS (MUFFIN TIN) | RECIPETIN EATS
POTATOES AU GRATIN - SPEND WITH PENNIES
FRENCH POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOISE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
JACQUES PEPIN RECIPES: GRATIN DAUPHINOISE - KQED FOOD
SCALLOPED POTATOES - BUDGET BYTES
TRADITIONAL FRENCH GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (FRENCH SCALLOPED POTATOES)
ONE INGREDIENT DIFFERENTIATES SCALLOPED AND GRATIN POTATOES
POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (POTATOES DAUPHINOISE) - OLIVIA'S CUISINE
30 PERFECT POTATO RECIPES TO TRY THIS WEEKEND - MSN
DISCOVER THE BEST POTATO FOR MAKING SCALLOPED POTATO AU GRATIN: 5 ...
You'll also love