- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium. Spray 9-inch sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Mix allspice, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and red pepper; rub seasonings on both sides of tenderloin. Place turkey on foil; top with onion and bell pepper. Cover with another 9-inch sheet of foil; fold edges together to seal packet.
- Grill 4 inches from heat 20 minutes. Open packet. Remove turkey; keep vegetable mixture warm. Grill turkey 4 to 5 minutes longer or until brown and juice runs clear. Thinly slice turkey. Top with vegetable mixture and chutney.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 170, Carbohydrate 16 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Fiber 2 g, Protein 22 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 70 mg
When Francine Turone hosted her first Thanksgiving dinner in New York City, she declared turkey "bland and boring." But after friends protested, she came up with this recipe inspired by her upbringing in Kingston, Jamaica. This turkey, a showstopping centerpiece for any big family event, roasts on a bed of whole vegetables, which absorb its fat. A deeply spiced brine and rub packed with cinnamon, allspice berries, thyme and chile pepper imparts huge flavors, rounded out by an herb-infused brown butter. If things are looking to be busy, the butter and rub can be prepared a day ahead.
Provided by Ligaya Mishan
Categories dinner, project, main course
Yield 12 to 16 servings
Number Of Ingredients 30
- Brine the turkey: Combine all the brine ingredients except the turkey in a large stock pot and add 1 gallon water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in another 1/2 gallon water; let cool to room temperature. Place turkey breast-side-down in a container large enough to hold it and the brine. Add brine and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator about an hour before cooking and bring to room temperature.
- Make the herb butter: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 9 to 12 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning, until butter darkens to deep amber. Add thyme and scallions and remove from heat. (Butter may foam up; stir to keep it from foaming over.) Let steep for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain into a bowl, pressing out all the butter with a spatula. Allow butter to cool so it firms up, but is still a little soft and pliable. Stir butter while it cools to re-incorporate any bits that fall to the bottom.
- Make the spice rub: Combine all the rub ingredients in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toast, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Let cool, then grind finely in a spice grinder or mortar.
- Roast the turkey: Heat oven to 475 degrees. Line a large roasting pan with the scallions, onions, celery, fennel, garlic and carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in stock.
- Remove turkey from brine and pat dry. Season cavity with about 1/2 tablespoon of the spice rub. Gently loosen the breast skin with your fingers as far down as you can go, being careful not to tear the skin. Spread almost all of the herb butter under the skin and smooth it out as evenly as possible by rubbing the skin. Rub remaining butter lightly over the rest of the turkey. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the spice rub all over turkey.
- Place turkey in pan on top of vegetables. Tuck the wings under turkey, and tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast turkey for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and loosely cover with foil. Cook turkey, basting with the liquid in the pan every 45 minutes, until the leg feels loose in the socket and a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165 degrees. Start checking the temperature after about 2 hours. Depending on the size of your turkey, it may take up to 4 hours to cook through. Let sit 20 to 25 minutes before carving.
GRILLED JAMAICAN TURKEY
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Spray 9-inch length of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Mix thyme, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and red pepper; rub on both sides of turkey. Place turkey on foil; top with onion and bell pepper. Cover with another 9-inch length of foil; fold edges together to seal packet.
- Grill packet 4 inches from medium heat 20 minutes. Open packet. Remove turkey; keep vegetable mixture warm. Grill turkey 4 to 5 minutes longer or until outside is brown and juices are no longer pink when center is cut. Cut tenderloin in half. Reserve half the turkey for Turkey-Brown Rice Pilaf. Turkey-Brown Rice Pilaf Thinly slice remaining turkey. Top with vegetable mixture and chutney.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 175, Carbohydrate 16 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Fiber 2 g, Protein 27 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 75 mg
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY WRAPS
After tasting these spicy wraps at a neighborhood party, I got the recipe. The grilled turkey tenderloin and light jalapeno dressing make them a hit. -Mary Ann Dell, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 wraps.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large bowl, toss coleslaw mix, tomato, coleslaw dressing, jalapeno and mustard; set aside. , Rub seasoning over turkey tenderloins. On a greased grill, cook turkey, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Let stand 5 minutes. , Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat 45-55 seconds on each side or until warmed. Thinly slice turkey; place down the center of tortillas. Top with coleslaw mixture and roll up.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343 calories, Fat 8g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 48mg cholesterol, Sodium 654mg sodium, Carbohydrate 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
People also searched
More about "jamaican turkey recipes"
JAMAICAN TURKEY WING RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
JAMAICAN JERK BAKED TURKEY BREAST - RECIPE HIPPIE
HOW TO COOK CARIBBEAN JAMAICAN BROWN STEW TURKEY …
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY RECIPE - HOME - JAMAICANS.COM
JERK TURKEY WINGS : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
MISS G’S SIMPLE NON-PORK JAMAICAN STEW PEAS RECIPE (SMOKED ...
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY SANDWICH RECIPE - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW TURKEY NECK - THAT GIRL COOKS HEALTHY
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY - CANADIAN TURKEY
JAMAICAN TURKEY STEW RECIPE - NATIONAL TURKEY FEDERATION
JAMAICAN TURKEY RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
JAMAICAN TURKEY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
LEFTOVER TURKEY RICE | JAMAICAN STYLE | THE CURRY GUY
MOMMY’S JAMAICAN STYLE TURKEY WINGS - YOUTUBE
TURKEY NECK BROWN STEW - JAMAICAN DINNERS
RECIPE FOR JAMAICAN TURKEY WINGS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
JAMAICAN GROUND TURKEY PATTIES RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
JAMAICAN TURKEY SANDWICH - BREASTS
JAMAICAN JERK ROAST TURKEY - SAVEUR
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY WINGS - ARMADILLO PEPPER
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY – GREAT TASTES OF MANITOBA
10 BEST JAMAICAN RICE RECIPES | YUMMLY
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY - SIMPLE, DELICIOUS HOLIDAY DISH ...
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY DRUM - BUTTERBALL
5 MOST DELICIOUS TURKEY NECK RECIPES TO TRY TODAY!
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY THIGHS RECIPE - NATIONAL TURKEY ...
HOW TO ROAST A JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY TO SPICE UP YOUR ...
CARIBBEAN BROWN STEWED TURKEY WINGS - TASTEEFUL RECIPES
BBQ JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY | CANADIAN TURKEY
JAMAICAN GRILLED TURKEY CHOPS RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
JAMAICAN JERK BEER CAN TURKEY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
JAMAICAN TURKEY SANDWICH RECIPE
JAMAICAN GLAZED TURKEY RECIPE 2022 EASY RECIPE TOP
JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY - BIGOVEN.COM
HOW TO COOK JAMAICAN JERK TURKEY : 17 STEPS (WITH PICTURES ...
JAMAICAN TURKEY CUTLETS WITH VEGETABLES - JAMIE GELLER
STEWED TURKEY WINGS RECIPE. - CARIBBEANPOT.COM
JAMAICAN TURKEY WING RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
JAMAICAN TURKEY SANDWICH - LUNCH RECIPES
JAMAICAN THEMED THANKSGIVING FEAST RECIPES - CHEF AND STEWARD®
BEST JAMAICAN TURKEY WING : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
TURKEY NECK CURRY STEW - JAMAICAN DINNERS
JAMAICAN CURRY TURKEY NECK RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook a Turkey with jerk seasoning?Take 5 tablespoons of the Jerk Seasoning/Sauce and mix with the butter and olive oil. If it is too thick use a food processor to liquefy Inject the turkey with the mixture. Inject each leg and then a shot on each side of the breast. Rub the remaining Jerk Seasoning/Sauce on the outside and inside of the turkey.
How to cook a Turkey in the oven?Preheat oven to 260C /500F. Grease roasting pan with oil. Tuck the wing tips under the turkey and truss the legs together. Tying the legs together is essential for even roasting. Place the turkey bottom-side-down in the center of the roasting pan. Place in the center of the oven and cook 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 130C / 265F.
How long to cook a Turkey in the oven with jerk sauce?Remove the turkey from the oven and baste completely with the reserved jerk sauce. Return the turkey to the oven and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 20 to 25 minutes more.
How do you brine a Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner?Featured in: The American Thanksgiving . Brine the turkey: Combine all the brine ingredients except the turkey in a large stock pot and add 1 gallon water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in another 1/2 gallon water; let cool to room temperature.