PERFECT POT ROAST
Cooking meats, I have to confess, isn't my specialty. But everyone who tastes this main-course dish wants more! I'm a mostly at-home mom. I like to sew and read. I also enjoy gardening-we grow a good-sized patch, and it's so nice to have fresh-picked tomatoes and spinach when I make salads.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender. , Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan. , For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Nutrition Facts :
SIMPLE PERFECT POT ROAST
This is the Cook's Illustrated recipe, but it tastes exactly like Mom's recipe. She used to put it in the oven before we went to church, and then served it with hot rolls and a crisp salad.
Provided by PanNan
Categories Roast Beef
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300°F.
- Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8- 10 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a large plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6- 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast.
- Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then cover tightly and transfer pot to oven.
- Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes until fully tender and meat fork slips in and out of meat very easily (3 1/2- 4 hours).
- Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Allow liquid in pot to settle about 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface; discard thyme sprig.
- Boil over high heat until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.
- Add red wine and reduce again to 1 1/2 cups, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch slices, or pull apart in pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving platter and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat.
- Serve, passing remaining sauce.
- Note: Can add small red potatoes and sliced carrots and/or parsnips about 45 minutes before roast is finished.
PIONEER WOMAN'S PERFECT POT ROAST
It seems like a no-brainer, pot+roast=pot roast, and I used to do it that way. This is better. All you Pioneer Woman fans out there, you know she has a knack for making everyday things better and scary things easy so give this a try if you want to taste the best pot roast of your life!
Provided by specialbekah
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- preheat oven to 275. Heat large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil and let it get really hot.
- Salt and pepper the chuck roast on both sides. Cut the onions from root to tip, cut the ends off, and peel the skin off. Brown onions on both sides in dutch oven, then remove to a plate. Thoroughly wash carrots, chop and add to dutch oven and toss them around until slightly brown, about a minute or so.
- Remove the carrots and allow pot to become hot again.
- Sear roast about 1 minute per side and then remove to plate.
- Turn heat to high and deglaze the pot adding one cup of the beef broth.
- Add Meat back to pot, followed by carrots and onions. Pour beef broth into pot to cover the meat half way. Tuck thyme and rosemary into the broth, if you are using them.
- Cover pot and roast for 3-5 hours depending on the size of your roast. For a 3 pound roast, allow 3-3 1/2 hours, for a 4 to 5 pound roast, cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- When cooking time is over, check for doneness; insert a fork into meat, the fork should go in very easily and the meat should be very tender.
- Remove to cutting board and slice against the grain.
- Congratulations, you're a hero.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 402.6, Fat 18.6, SaturatedFat 6.9, Cholesterol 149.7, Sodium 525, Carbohydrate 10, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 4.5, Protein 49.8
PERFECT POT ROAST
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Combine the salt, pepper, and ground fennel in a small bowl. Generously season the roast with the spice mixture.
- Add enough oil to a large Dutch oven to coat the bottom. Heat it over medium-high heat, add the roast, and sear 8 to 10 minutes total, turning to brown all sides. Transfer the roast to a bowl.
- Add the carrots, onions, and garlic and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove the vegetables and place in a clean bowl.
- Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of the cider. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring it to a boil again.
- Add 4 sprigs of the thyme, the rosemary, bay leaf, and roast to the pot (reserving the vegetables in the bowl). Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, place it in the oven, and roast for 2 hours. Add the reserved vegetables and roast for 1 more hour, until the roast is fork-tender but not mushy.
- Remove the roast and vegetables to a large bowl or platter and cover to keep warm. Let the braising liquid cool slightly, then strain the liquid into a bowl (discard the solids).
- Skim off any fat that has risen to the top.
- Purée the braising liquid in a blender.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine with the oil. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cider and the tomato paste and mix well.
- Return the braising liquid to the pot along with the remaining 1 1/2 cups beef broth and the remaining 2 thyme sprigs. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- To serve, slice the pot roast, arrange the vegetables around it, and pour the sauce over the top.
- Variations: Tipsy Pot Roast
- In many pot roast recipes, there is an element of alcohol. In mine, I use hard cider, but you can also try red wine, a heavy beer, or-for your Irish friends-Guinness. The booze gives the meat an extra dimension but won't get the family hammered.
More about "perfect pot roast recipes"
PERFECT POT ROAST - SPEND WITH PENNIES
5/5 (247)Total Time 4 hrs 35 minsCategory Beef, Dinner, Entree, Main CourseCalories 579 per serving
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on each side until browned, about 4 minutes per side adding more oil if needed.
- Arrange onions around the roast. Combine wine, broth, rosemary, garlic, and thyme. Pour over the roast. Add bay leaf.
OUR 20 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Mary Claire Lagroue
POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
8 PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPES - FOOD & WINE
PERFECT POT ROAST WITH POTATOES - MY INCREDIBLE RECIPES
PERFECT POT ROAST - POMPEIAN
THE PERFECT CROCK POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
THE PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE FOR THE SLOW COOKER - THE …
PERFECT POT ROAST | CANADIAN LIVING
PERFECT POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
REE DRUMMOND PERFECT POT ROAST - RECIPE DIARIES
POT ROAST RECIPE PERFECT ON THE STOVE TOP
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY - MOM ON TIMEOUT
30 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | EASY CHUCK ROAST RECIPES | RECIPES, …
THE PERFECT SOUTHERN POT ROAST RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CURTIS STONE COOKS A FLAVOURFUL POT ROAST THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT POT ROAST | YOU CAN COOK THAT - YOUTUBE
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY RECIPE | MEL'S KITCHEN CAFE
THE PERFECT POT ROAST - A PRETTY LIFE IN THE SUBURBS
MAMA'S SLOW ROASTED POT ROAST - TENDER, EASY, DELICIOUS!
17 PERFECT POT ROAST SIDES – THE KITCHEN COMMUNITY
POT-ROAST RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
THE PERFECT POT ROAST - RACHEL COOKS®
PERFECT POT ROAST - LIFE MADE SIMPLE
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE - LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE | COOK THE BOOK - SERIOUS EATS
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH POT ROAST RECIPE - THE RECIPE CRITIC
PERFECT POT ROAST - ANDREW ZIMMERN
PERFECT POT ROAST IN THE OVEN OR SLOW COOKER - 2 BEES IN A POD
PERFECT POT ROAST - FOR BEGINNERS - COPYKAT RECIPES
BEST POT ROAST RECIPE - PIONEER WOMAN POT ROAST
POT ROAST MEAL MENU BEST RECIPES
BEST PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
PERFECT POT ROAST WITH POT ROAST GRAVY - SIMPLY SATED
RECIPE: PERFECT POT ROAST - BAVETTE STEAK
FAMILY FAVORITE POT ROAST | A BOUNTIFUL KITCHEN
PERFECT POT ROAST SEASONING (EASY ALL PURPOSE SPICE MIX )
EASY POT ROAST CROCK-POT RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
PERFECT POT ROAST - RECIPES
PERFECT POT ROAST - CHATELAINE
WEEKNIGHT POT ROAST | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
THE PERFECT CLASSIC POT ROAST | 12 TOMATOES
PERFECT POT ROAST - SOOO TENDER! - COOKTHESTORY
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #very-low-carbs #main-dish #beef #dietary #low-carb #low-in-something #meat #roast-beef #4-hours-or-less
How to Make a Perfect Pot Roast | You Can Cook That | Allrecipes.com1.3M views-06:52
Perfect Pot Roast Recipe on the Stove Top1.1M views-09:50
Perfect Pot Roast192.2K views-11:03
How To Make A Perfect Mississippi Pot Roast | Crockpot Recipes26.9K views-04:31
The Hillbilly Kitchen - Perfect Pot Roast1.1M views-15:11
You'll also love