Hubby says these grits are fit for a Southern Tea Room. No higher compliment than that! It is not a mistake to use quick cooking grits, and cook them for almost half an hour. These grits have body!
Provided by Connie K
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat.
- Stir in butter.
- Serve with additional butter on top of each portion, or serve with fruit or with a savory meal.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 295.2, Fat 14.8, SaturatedFat 9.1, Cholesterol 41.2, Sodium 724, Carbohydrate 34.6, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 0.3, Protein 6
SOUTHERN GRITS AND EGGS
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and black pepper; cover to keep warm.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the okra, scallion whites, bell pepper, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully slide the eggs on top of the okra mixture, keeping the yolks intact. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook, rotating the skillet occasionally, until the eggs are just set, about 6 minutes.
- Serve the grits with the vegetables and eggs. Top with the scallion greens.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 405 calorie, Fat 21 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Cholesterol 445 milligrams, Sodium 231 milligrams, Carbohydrate 35 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 20 grams
SOUTHERN SHRIMP AND GRITS
A southern specialty, sometimes called breakfast shrimp, this dish tastes great for brunch or dinner, and anytime company's coming. It's down-home comfort food at its finest. -Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside and keep warm., In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings. Saute the shrimp, garlic and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits and sprinkle with onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 674 calories, Fat 42g fat (22g saturated fat), Cholesterol 241mg cholesterol, Sodium 1845mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 41g protein.
SOUTHERN CHEESE GRITS
A Southern tradition, creamy cheese grits with a zip of spice makes for a perfect side dish to barbecue, or for a holiday get together. They were always on the table at my mother-in-law's house. A real family tradition.
Provided by Deborah
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a pot over high heat. Add grits, reduce heat to low, and let simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Pour grits into a large mixing bowl. Add beaten egg slowly, followed by 1 1/4 cups Cheddar cheese, milk, Worcestershire sauce, butter, pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Mix thoroughly and pour into the prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese on top and sprinkle lightly with paprika for coloring. Cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven until thickened and cheese is melted, about 1 hour, uncovering the last 10 minutes to let a crust form on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 222.1 calories, Carbohydrate 17.7 g, Cholesterol 56.5 mg, Fat 12.6 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 9.4 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 386.7 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
More about "southern grits recipes"
HOW TO MAKE GRITS IN THE SOUTHERN STYLE | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
SOUTHERN CREAMY GRITS RECIPE - DIVAS CAN COOK
GRITS RECIPE - PAULA DEEN
SOUTHERN CHEESE GRITS - HOUSE OF YUMM
GRITS | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO COOK WITH GRITS: TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN GRITS RECIPE
SOUTHERN BREAKFAST GRITS RECIPE - JULIAS SIMPLY SOUTHERN
17 SOUTHERN GRITS RECIPES THAT'LL STAND THE TEST OF TIME
TOP 41 BEST SOUTHERN GRITS RECIPE RECIPES
AUTHENTIC SOUTHERN SHRIMP AND GRITS | SWEET TEA AND THYME
SOUTHERN SHRIMP & GRITS - BAKE IT WITH LOVE
QUICK AND EASY SOUTHERN GRITS RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
SOUTHERN GRIT: 100+ DOWN-HOME RECIPES FOR THE MODERN COOK
GRITS | SOUTHERN LIVING
BLACK FOLKS SOUTHERN SHRIMP AND GRITS RECIPE - THE SOUL FOOD POT
CHEESE GRITS RECIPE (SOUTHERN-STYLE) | KITCHN
INSTANT POT GRITS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
FRIED GRITS RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #5-ingredients-or-less #breakfast #american #southern-united-states #easy #vegetarian #grains #stove-top #dietary #low-calorie #comfort-food #inexpensive #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #brunch #taste-mood #equipment
Cheesy Southern Grits | Grits Recipe89.1K views-08:14
How to Cook Homemade Southern Style Grits |Easy and Quick Recipe| Mattie's Kitchen183.5K views-11:57
How to Make Southern Shrimp & Grits | You Can Cook That | Allrecipes.com22.5K views-04:54
Southern Shrimp and Grits106K views-10:32
Southern Style Shrimp and Grits l Easy Recipe31.5K views-16:35
Southern-Style Cheese Grits Recipe: How To Make The Best Cheesy Cheese Grits347.1K views-07:32
You'll also love