ROSEMARY BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Lamb shanks are slowly simmered with fresh rosemary, garlic, tomatoes, and red wine. Great served with polenta, or my family's favorite--roasted garlic mashed potatoes--as you need something to soak up the wonderful sauce. A fantastic dish for company, as all the prep work is done at the beginning, and then you just have to wait.
Provided by S. HODGE
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pot until thickened, about 15 minutes. Spoon over shanks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 480.5 calories, Carbohydrate 17.6 g, Cholesterol 92.7 mg, Fat 21.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 30.3 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 758.7 mg, Sugar 7.3 g
PERSIAN-SPICED LAMB SHANKS
Rare grilled lamb chops or a roasted leg of lamb can be delightful and are easy to cook if you're in a hurry. However, with a little planning, you'll find it's the shank of the lamb that deserves the most praise. Careful, slow simmering will coax lamb shanks to a flavorful succulence unlike the other cuts. Lamb shanks are versatile, too, easily adaptable to recipes from many different cuisines. This heady Persian spice mixture yields a braise that is complex and nuanced, yet the flavors are balanced, with subtle hints of orange, lime and rosewater. Basmati rice is the perfect accompaniment. Prepare the lamb shanks up to 2 days before serving, if desired. Refrigerate them covered in broth and reheat for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven or over gentle heat on the stovetop.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, roasts, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Trim any excess fat from lamb shanks and season generously with salt. Mix together the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, rosebuds (if using), black pepper and turmeric. Sprinkle evenly over shanks and rub into meat. Let sit at room temperature at least an hour, or wrap and refrigerate overnight, then bring to room temperature.
- Place a Dutch oven or deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat and add oil to a depth of 1/2 inch. When oil is hot, add 2 lamb shanks and fry until nicely browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside, then brown the 2 remaining shanks.
- Meanwhile, put saffron in a small bowl with lime juice, 2 teaspoons rosewater and 1/2 cup warm water. Let steep for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from Dutch oven. Add chopped onion and cook over medium heat until softened and lightly colored, 8 to 10 minutes. Season onion with salt, then add lime zest, orange zest, thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in saffron mixture. Lay in the lamb shanks and add the broth. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover pot.
- Transfer pot to oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, covered, until meat is tender when probed and beginning to fall from the bone. Remove lamb shanks to a deep serving dish and keep warm. Strain braising juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing with a wooden spoon to obtain all the liquid (discard thyme, bay leaves and onions). Skim fat, then taste and add salt if necessary. Add 1 more teaspoon rosewater, if desired. Reheat strained juices and pour over lamb shanks. Combine parsley, mint and reserved orange zest and sprinkle over top.
- Use a large spoon to break the tender shank meat into large chunks. Serve in low, wide soup plates, giving each portion a spoonful of the juices. Accompany with steamed Basmati rice, lavash flatbread or a loaf of crusty French bread.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 791, UnsaturatedFat 28 grams, Carbohydrate 15 grams, Fat 52 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 63 grams, SaturatedFat 21 grams, Sodium 1403 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BRAISED FIVE-SPICE LAMB SHANKS WITH SOY AND GINGER
For this recipe, two lamb shanks are seared and then braised for about two hours before being simmered in a fragrant mixture of soy, ginger and a few other things. Sauté some bok choy, stir it into the simmer and serve it all over rice. It is a savory Sunday night supper.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, quick, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Combine all ingredients except the bok choy, oil, rice and scallions in large pot that can later be covered; bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until the flavors have melded, about 15 minutes.
- Sauté the bok choy in the oil until tender; stir it into the stew at the last minute and serve over rice, garnished with the scallions.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 105, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 19 grams, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 3 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 313 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and cook, in batches if necessary, turning with tongs, until well browned, about 10 minutes each batch. Remove the lamb shanks with tongs to a plate and set aside.
- Stir the onions, carrots, rosemary, bay leaves, and garlic into the dutch oven and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the wine and deglaze the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot and braise the mixture, tightly covered, in the oven for 1 hour. Uncover and braise for 2 more hours, turning the shanks every 30 minutes. Stir in the turnips and the remaining 1/2 cup of the wine, and continue to braise, in the oven for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the lamb shanks are braising, make the gremolata: chop together the rosemary, orange zest, and garlic. Place each lamb shank on a serving plate, top with the vegetables, sprinkle with gremolata and serve immediately.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Anne Burrell's Braised Lamb Shanks recipe for Food Network is a hearty fan favorite.
Provided by Anne Burrell
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a large Dutch oven generously with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Season the shanks generously with salt and add them to the pan. Brown well on all sides. This is an incredibly important step; do not rush it.
- Meanwhile, puree the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a food processor until it becomes a coarse paste. Remove and set aside.
- Remove the shanks from the pan to a sheet tray. Discard the excess fat from the pan. Add a little more oil to coat the bottom of the pan and add the pureed veggies. Season with salt, to taste. Saute the veggies until they are very brown and aromatic, about 20 minutes. The brown veggies should form a sort of crust on the bottom of the pan, do not let this burn; it is where a lot of the flavor is! Don't rush this step either, since this is where you will develop the brown color and flavor.
- Add the tomato paste and brown for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, chopped rosemary and thyme bundle. Stir frequently and cook until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Add the shanks back to the pot and pour in 3 to 4 cups of water. The shanks should be submersed, if they are not, add more water. Add the bay leaves to the pan, cover and put in the preheated oven. The cooking time will be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Turn the shanks over about halfway through the cooking time. Check the shanks every 45 minutes or so. If the liquid has reduced too much add more water. Defat as you go.
- Remove the lid during the last 30 minutes of cooking time for maximum browning. When the shanks are done the meat should be incredibly tender and flavorful. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with Gremolata. Serve with Hard Polenta Cakes, if desired,
- Call yourself a superstar!!!
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Lamb shanks are good value, and as each one is a portion, serving is a cinch. You can braise the shanks up to two days ahead
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Pour the oil in a casserole dish or roasting tray large enough to fit all the shanks. With the pan set over a high heat on the hob, spend a good 10 mins browning the lamb all over.
- Remove the lamb, add the onion and carrot and cook for 10 mins until starting to brown. Stir in the herbs and garlic and cook for a few mins more. Stir in the flour and tomato purée, season well then pour over the wine and stock.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid or tightly with foil and cook in the oven, undisturbed, for 1½-2 hrs until lamb is tender. Remove the lamb from the sauce and set aside.
- Put pan back on the hob and bubble the sauce down for about 15 mins until rich and glossy. Pass through a sieve into a jug. The lamb and sauce can be stored in the fridge for two days or frozen for one month. To serve, reheat the lamb in the sauce, adding a splash of water if the sauce is too thick.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 295 calories, Fat 18 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 5 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Protein 25 grams protein, Sodium 0.41 milligram of sodium
More about "braised spiced lamb shanks recipes"
EASY BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
4.8/5 (73)Calories 448 per servingCategory Entree
- In a large Dutch oven pot like this one, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the lamb shanks on all sides (about 8 mins or so). Transfer the lamb shanks to a large tray or bowl for now. Carefully dispose of extra fat in a separate heat-safe bowl, and return the pot to heat.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS (PERSIAN STYLE) - THE DELICIOUS …
Ratings 9Calories 255 per servingCategory Main Course
- Follow the same instructions as above.And cook the lamb shanks in the oven at 325 degrees F in an oven safe dish making sure to seal it well or use a fitting lid.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH GARLIC AND INDIAN SPICES RECIPE
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS - CAFE DELITES
PERSIAN LAMB SHANKS | RECIPETIN EATS
BEST LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BRAISED LAMB …
4.9/5 (16)Total Time 3 hrs 10 minsCuisine AmericanCalories 433 per serving
MOROCCAN-STYLE LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - THE FOOD & WINE TEST …
HOW TO COOK LAMB SHANKS | BRAISED LAMB SHANKS | LAMB SHANKS …
LAMB SHANK RECIPES & MENU IDEAS | BON APPéTIT
PORT BRAISED LAMB SHANKS | RECIPETIN EATS
VINDALOO BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH SPICED YOGURT RISOTTO
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS & EGGPLANT RECIPE | EATINGWELL
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH SPICED QUINCE RECIPE - @ATKINS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
LAMB SHANKS BRAISED WITH TOMATO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EASTER LEFTOVERS RECIPE: BRAISED LAMB SHANK MASSAMAN CURRY
HOW TO ROAST LAMB | ROAST LAMB TIMES & TEMPERATURE | WAITROSE …
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS | AMERICAN LAMB
38 PASSOVER RECIPES FOR YOUR BEST SEDER YET 2023 - PUREWOW
RED WINE BRAISED LAMB SHANKS - SIP AND FEAST
CAVA BRAISED LAMB RECIPE
BRAISED SPICED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
You'll also love