HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE
Below are two different ways to make this delicious caramel spread: One is more classic-cooking down milk and sugar-but it requires a fair amount of attention and stirring. The other uses sweetened condensed milk and a long, though mostly unattended, time in the oven.
Yield Makes 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Classic menthod:
- Stir together 4 cups milk, 1 1/4 cups sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and thickened, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. (After about an hour, stir more often as milk caramelizes, to avoid burning.) Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- Sweetened condensed milk method:
- Heat oven to 425°F with rack in middle. Pour the contents of 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and cover tightly with foil. Set plate in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to pan to reach halfway up pie plate. Bake milk in middle of oven 45 minutes. Check water level and add additional, if necessary, then continue to bake 45 minutes more, or until milk is thick and brown. Remove pie plate from water bath and cool, uncovered. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
QUICK DULCE DE LECHE
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and cook over medium heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. The mixture will turn the color of peanut shells.
HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE
This is basically sweet, caramelized milk. It's so easy and so delicious. I like it better than caramel sauce on anything you'd use caramel sauce, such as on ice cream, toast, cookies, cakes, brownies, or to pour on people.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Wash the nail and pound it into the top of can of sweetened condensed milk to make 2 small holes on opposite sides of the top. Remove nail.
- Place the can of condensed milk into a small saucepan and pour in water to reach high up the side of the can. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer milk in the can for 3 to 4 hours. Milk will slowly turn light to medium brown and become thicker as it cooks. Add more water as it boils down.
- Remove lid from can and pour dulce de leche into a bowl. Whisk to break up any lumps and mix thicker caramel from the bottom into the rest of the syrup.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 157.3 calories, Carbohydrate 26.7 g, Cholesterol 16.7 mg, Fat 4.3 g, Protein 3.9 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 64.9 mg, Sugar 26.7 g
DULCE DE LECHE
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth. Return to pan.
- Cut vanilla bean in half and pour the seeds in the milk. Stir in the sugar and replace the pan on medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Just as the milk mixture begins to boil, stir in the baking soda. Reduce the heat to medium, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon drawn through the mixture leaves the bottom of the pan visible, and the mixture is light brown in color, remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the pan in an ice bath and stir constantly until dulce de leche is cold. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Pour into sterile jars, and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 171.2 calories, Carbohydrate 34.2 g, Cholesterol 9.7 mg, Fat 2.4 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 1.5 g, Sodium 89 mg, Sugar 34.2 g
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE
This is such a simple sauce to make at home. All you need is a little patience and a good wooden spoon!
Provided by Alex Guarnaschelli
Yield 1 pint
Number Of Ingredients 2
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the milk and sugar. Stir thoroughly to blend.
- Place the milk over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring from time to time. The milk and sugar will become "thin" and then eventually "simmer" back together and turn a light brown color. Continue to cook, stirring from time to time, until it the sauce is golden brown. This whole process takes about 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a bowl or jar to cool.
DULCE DE LECHE
There are several ways to make this sweet, caramel spread. Some traditionalists favor boiling an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk on the stovetop. If you go this route, make sure there is always enough water circulating around the can. Others prefer the ease of the oven method, which is slightly faster, too.
Provided by Food Network
Yield about 1 1/4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 1
- For the stovetop method: Remove the label from the can of sweetened condensed milk. Place 3 to 4 forks upside down on the bottom of a large 6- to 8-quart pot. Place the unopened can on top of the forks and cover with water by a few inches. (The forks help to prevent a vacuum between the bottom of the can and the pot.) Place the pot over high heat until it reaches a simmer, then lower the heat to medium-low or low to maintain a steady simmer for about 3 hours. Add more water to the pot if necessary to ensure that the can is submerged at all times. Let the can cool to room temperature in the water before removing. Open the can and scoop out the contents. The dulce de leche should be dark and caramelized.
- For the oven method: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a shallow baking dish in a roasting pan. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the baking dish and cover the dish with foil. Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and add enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake until the dulce de leche is dark and caramelized, 60 to 75 minutes, checking the water level occasionally and adding more if needed. Let cool, then whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the dulce de leche to an airtight container, put plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
DULCE DE LECHE
- Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.
DULCE DE LECHE
- Slowly cook 6 cups milk, sugar and vanilla bean to a caramel stage. You must constantly stir or it will burn. Deglaze with remaining 4 cups milk and cream, and boil for 1 minute. Cool. When cold add the 1 1/2 cups of raw milk. Strain, chill and pour into an ice cream maker and process for about 7 to 8 minutes.
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE
Condensed milk gets transformed into a rich, decadent sauce that can be enjoyed on its own or in combination with other desserts. Enjoyed throughout Latin America, this streamlined version relies on just one ingredient and a few simple steps.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield About 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Pour two 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with foil and set in a roasting pan; add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake at 425 degrees F until thick and dark amber, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until thickened, 1 hour. (Makes about 2 cups.)
DULCE DE LECHE
This rich, creamy caramel sauce is a great way to level up your favourite desserts. It's easy to make and tastes heavenly - try it drizzled over vanilla ice cream
Provided by Charlotte Pike
Categories Condiment, Dessert
Yield Makes around 450 ml
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan. Turn the heat to a medium temperature and carefully melt the sugar. Gently tilt the pan as the sugar melts, rather than stirring, as it will adhere to a spoon or spatula.
- When the sugar is melted, add the butter and stir into the sugar. It will bubble, so take care. Next, add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously.
- Finally, add the can of condensed milk and stir well until it is fully incorporated. Keep stirring as the dulce de leche bubbles and thickens over a medium heat. It will need a further 5-10 mins of cooking. It will turn a darker shade of brown and take on a slight orange-red hue as it darkens. It should be thick enough to leave a clear channel in the pan when a spoon is run through and then add a pinch of salt. It will firm up as it cools. The dulce de leche can be stored in a jar in the fridge and will keep for up to a month. If not storing in a jar ensure it's covered so a skin doesn't form.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 52 calories, Fat 2 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 7 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 7 grams sugar, Protein 1 grams protein, Sodium 0.05 milligram of sodium
DULCE DE LECHE CAKE
The cake is tender and moist, and it's not too sweet to help balance out with the frosting. The frosting is delightful, it has that caramel flavor from the dulce de leche, and the optional rum complements the caramel's vanilla notes wonderfully. The hazelnuts added a great crunch factor and adds a subtly nutty flavor.
Provided by Jasmine
Categories Cake Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with baking spray; set aside.
- Whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined; set aside.
- Add white sugar and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup dulce de leche and vanilla; beat until well combined, 30 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition, 45 seconds. Add flour mixture alternately with 3/4 cup milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating on low just until combined after each addition. Evenly divide cake batter between prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze: Whisk together 1/4 cup dulce de leche and 2 tablespoons milk until mixture is smooth.
- Invert cakes from pans onto a wire cooling rack; set rack on a baking sheet. Using a wooden skewer or fork, gently poke holes all over flat sides (bottoms) of cakes. Pour dulce de leche glaze mixture over cakes and smooth with an offset spatula to coax mixture into holes. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare frosting: Beat butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. With mixer running on low speed, gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in salt. Increase speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, and beat in 1/2 cup dulce de leche and rum (if using) on low speed until just incorporated, 45 seconds.
- Assemble the cake: Set a cake layer on a plate with the flat side (bottom) facing up. Evenly spread 1 cup of the frosting over the cake to the edge. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of hazelnuts. Top with the second cake layer, rounded (top) side up. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and side of the cake. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of hazelnuts on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 669 calories, Carbohydrate 83.7 g, Cholesterol 123.1 mg, Fat 35.5 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 7.3 g, SaturatedFat 18.1 g, Sodium 411.1 mg
More about "homemade dulce de leche recipes"
DULCE DE LECHE - WIKIPEDIA
“HOMEMADE” DULCE DE LECHE - THE PIONEER WOMAN
HOMEMADE AREQUIPE OR DULCE DE LECHE - MY …
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE - RECIPE GIRL
DULCE DE LECHE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.1/5 (9)Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Dessert, SauceCalories 215 per serving
DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE ALLRECIPES - LIFESCHOOLK12.ORG
DULCE DE LECHE - PREPPY KITCHEN
DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE RECIPE UK - NAZARENOVIRTUAL.NET
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE OR MILK CARAMEL - LAYLITA'S RECIPES
DULCE DE LECHE RUM CHATA RECIPE – AMERICANFEAST.COM
DULCE DE LECHE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
15 SWEET TREATS MADE WITH DULCE DE LECHE - ALLRECIPES
15 DULCE DE LECHE RECIPES (EASY DESSERTS) - INSANELY GOOD
DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE FACTORY RECIPE - INFOMITOLOGIA.COM
HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE - TASTE OF HOME
15 SWEET TREATS MADE WITH DULCE DE LECHE
DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE RECIPE UK
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE | GOODNES
You'll also love