This is one of the seven fish dishes we serve at Christmas time. It is easy to make and quite delicious! I enjoy it served both warm and cold. Either way, it has become one of our traditional dishes each year. The recipe has been passed down to me through my grandparents, who were excellent cooks. -Paul Rinaldi, Easton, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Chop calamari tentacles; cut body into 1/2-in. rings., In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add anchovies if desired; stir in parsley and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add wine; stir in mushrooms, if desired, and seasonings. Add calamari; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until calamari is tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cool slightly., In a serving bowl, toss celery, olives, lemon juice and calamari mixture. May be served warm, or refrigerated and served cold.
Nutrition Facts :
- Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
- Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in onion and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Cut tubes of calamari into 1-inch rings and cut the tentacles in half. In a large pot bring water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Carefully place the calamari in the pot. Cook the calamari until tender, about 2 minutes. Be sure not to overcook.
- Strain the calamari and place in a mixing bowl. Add all of the ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the calamari cold.
- To a large pot of boiling water, add lemon juice and salt. Add squid rings and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain.
- Combine onion, celery, garlic, parsley, olive oil, vinegar and herbs with cooked squid and serve at room temperature or cool.
CRUNCHY CALAMARI SALAD
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Slice the squid into thin rings and coarsely chop the tentacles. Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees. Bring two quarts of water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the juice of half a lemon and season it with a teaspoon of salt. Add the squid and stir and when the water returns to a boil, drain the squid and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Spread the bread on a baking sheet, place in the oven and bake until the bread has dried out and turned lightly golden.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, stir in the garlic, remove from the heat immediately, pour the oil and garlic over toasted bread, stirring well.
- Place the squid in a serving bowl and toss with the remaining lemon juice. Fold in the tomatoes, onion, parsley and hot red pepper to taste. Just before serving, fold in the toasted bread along with any oil and garlic in the pan. Season to taste with salt and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 228, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 14 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 20 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 491 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water-bath; set aside. Add calamari rings to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer calamari to ice water bath; let cool 15 to 30 minutes. Drain calamari and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, celery, olives, garlic, and basil. Add calamari and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
WARM CALAMARI SALAD
I didn't get the char I wanted on the calamari, but I still enjoyed a flavorful, healthy lunch. The good news, however, was that I ate the leftovers cold, tossed with the same salad ingredients, and it was actually better. So, if you are planning on doing the same recipe as shown, I would suggest serving it chilled instead.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cut calamari tubes into 1/4-inch rings. Cut larger tentacle pieces in half. Place calamari in a bowl. Add oil, red pepper flakes, chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, jalapeno slices, and salt. Mix together thoroughly.
- Place arugula and beans in separate bowl. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Divide among 4 servings bowls.
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat until smoking. Add calamari to skillet; cook and stir until calamari loses its translucency, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Spoon calamari over arugula and beans. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with a pinch of pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 479.9 calories, Carbohydrate 32.7 g, Cholesterol 230.1 mg, Fat 28.6 g, Fiber 5.7 g, Protein 24.3 g, SaturatedFat 4.8 g, Sodium 801.2 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
FRIED CALAMARI SALAD
- For dressing:
- Whisk first 7 ingredients in medium bowl until miso dissolves. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- For salad:
- Cook chayote in medium saucepan of boiling salted water just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; cool. Combine chayote, endive, radicchio, hearts of palm and mint in large bowl.
- Mix flour and cornstarch in pie dish. Add enough vegetable oil to heavy large pot to reach depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350°F. Sprinkle calamari with salt and pepper. Dredge calamari in flour mixture; shake off excess. Working in batches, add calamari to pot and deep-fry just until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer calamari to paper towels and drain.
- Add calamari to bowl with chayote salad; add coconut, cashews and 2/3 cup dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 8 plates and serve.
- *Available at Asian markets and some supermarkets nationwide.
GRAMMY'S CALAMARI SALAD
- In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Stir in squid, and cook about 3 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Toss squid, olives, and celery with the lemon juice mixture. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119.3 calories, Carbohydrate 6.8 g, Cholesterol 264.5 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 18.2 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 108.5 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
From Gourmet magazine comes this wonderful calamari salad - and although it is delicious eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you allow it to chill for 8 hours in the refrigerator then bring it to room temperature for serving.
Provided by Julesong
Yield 8 servings as a side dish, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- (If you got whole squid, clean them first: gently pull the head and tentacles away from the body, then pull out the backbone from inside the body and discard it and the intestines and ink sac; cut the tentacles from the head just below the eyes and discard head; remove membrane from body.).
- Rinse all the squid under running water and pat dry.
- Cut the tentacle bunches in half, and cut the bodies into 1/4 to 1/3-inch wide rings; cut the wings from the bodies.
- Fill a 5 or 6 quart pot full of water, add a couple teaspoons of salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Cook all the prepared squid pieces in the boiling water until just opaque, a brief 40 to 60 seconds, then remove from pot and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking.
- When squid has cooled, transfer to a colander, let drain, and pat dry; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; add in onion, stir, and let the dressing stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, and feta (if using), then toss with the dressing.
- Let salad stand, tossing occasionally, for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Note: although good eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you chill it for 8 hours - tossing occasionally - then bring it to room temperature before serving (about 1 hour); also, some people prefer the onion to be sautéed lightly before adding it to the salad.
- Makes 4 main course servings, 8 side dish servings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369.1, Fat 21.9, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 397, Sodium 474.5, Carbohydrate 14.8, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 4.3, Protein 28.3
THE BEST CALAMARI SALAD
Make and share this The Best Calamari Salad recipe from Food.com.
Provided by mrs.pin
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Clean calamari remove the fins and skin.
- If you wish to use the tenacles cut them off above the eyes remove the hard center.
- Cut the calamari into small rings.
- Cook the calamari in boiling salted water for approx 1 minute drain and rinse under cold water.
- Put into serving bowl add all the chopped ingredients stir to combine.
- In a small bowl add vinegar and lemon juice wish in olive oil to make an emulsion
- add to salad and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Categories quick, salads and dressings
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Bring three quarts of water to a boil, add the squid and boil for three minutes, just until the squid turns opaque and firms up. Drain the squid and rinse it with cold water. Pat it dry on paper towels and slice the bodies into thin rings. Chop the triangular fins and the tentacles. Place the squid in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and refrigerate for two to three days, then serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 253, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 19 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 453 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams
More about "calamari salad recipes"
10 BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES - YUMMLY
PROVENçAL-STYLE CALAMARI SALAD WITH GREMOLATA RECIPE ...
CALAMARI SALAD - ROBERT ST. JOHN
CHILLED CALAMARI SALAD WITH LEMON AND PARSLEY - SKINNYTASTE
BEST CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD - LIDIA
BEST CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE (SQUID!) - YOUTUBE
19 CALAMARI RECIPES WORTHY OF YOUR TIME | GOURMET TRAVELLER
SQUID SALAD - LIDIA
FRESH SICILIAN MARINATED CALAMARI SALAD - SICILIAN FOOD ...
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - EVERYBODYLOVESITALIAN ...
MARINATED CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING ...
BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN ...
SAUTEED CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
34 EASY AND TASTY CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES BY HOME COOKS ...
CALAMARI SALAD - WOOLWORTHS TASTE
GRILLED SQUID SALAD | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD WITH SPICY MAYONNAISE | RICARDO
GREEK CALAMARI SALAD - EVERYDAY GOURMET
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
TASTY THAI SQUID (CALAMARI) SALAD RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN ...
ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD - EASIEST SEVEN FISHES APPETIZER ...
CALAMARI SALAD - ASIAN INSPIRATIONS
CALAMARI SALAD | THAI KITCHEN - SPICES, SEASONING, RECIPE ...
SPANISH STYLE GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD WITH POTATOES ...
SHRIMP AND CALAMARI SALAD - 2 SISTERS RECIPES BY ANNA AND LIZ
10 BEST GRILLED CALAMARI RECIPES - YUMMLY
ALVOR SEAFOOD | RECIPES | CALAMARI SALAD
EASY CALAMARI SALAD WITH BELL PEPPERS | BABAGANOSH
SQUID RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
EASY CALAMARI SALAD - REAL RECIPES FROM MUMS
JAPANESE SQUID SALAD RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
THE SECRETS OF MELTINGLY TENDER CALAMARI - WILLIAMS-SONOMA ...
CALAMARI SALAD - SEAFOOD SALAD RECIPES
CALAMARI SALAD WITH MIXED HERBS SALMORIGLIO - HEALTHY & TASTY!
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #salads #seafood #vegetables #european #diabetic #dinner-party #holiday-event #picnic #summer #italian #dietary #low-sodium #seasonal #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #independence-day #low-in-something #no-shell-fish #squid #onions #tomatoes #to-go
Best CALAMARI SALAD recipe (Squid!)112K views-03:20
Warm Calamari Salad Recipe - How to Make a Warm Calamari Salad with Arugula & White Beans119K views-05:26
Spicy Coconut Calamari Salad - Asian-Style Coconut & Squid Salad Recipe185K views-07:21
the best calamari salad12K views-09:01
Grilled Shrimp & Calamari Salad Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 434234K views-06:31
Thai Salad with Calamari and Apple3.8K views-03:33
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make calamari salad for Christmas?My Grandma has been making this calamari salad for all the years I can remember at our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
How to cook Calamari in the oven?Bring a medium pot filled with water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Add calamari all at once and cook until tender yet cooked, (I test it by tasting a ring) about 45 – 60 seconds. Quickly drain when cooked and add to the ice bath until cool, 4 – 5 minutes. Combine squid with the salad and toss well.
How do you cook Calamari in lemon juice?Throw lemon into water along with the rest of the ingredients. Add the calamari and boil til just tender. About 2 minutes. When the calamari is done, remove with a slotted spoon to a large (preferably) glass bowl and immediately squeeze lemon over the hot squid rings.
Do you need to add salt to Calamari?No need to add salt to the calamari, it is typically salty enough from the salt water it is packed in. If it is not salt enough to your liking, you can always add a little more salt to the dressing for this salad. Simply season 1 lb of calamari with about 1 teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning (or more to taste!) and mix well.